What Biochemical Changes Occur with pH Shifts and Nucleotide Composition?

In summary: CATGCTA 5'In summary, changing the pH can disrupt hydrophobic interactions, and a nucleotide containing a purine, ribose, and a phosphate group can be a building block for all types of RNA. The DNA molecule with 5'ATCGTAC3' = 3'TAGCATG5' and dehydration synthesis decreases entropy within a system.
nemzy
which of the following will most likely be disrupted by a change in pH?

1) hydrogen bonding
2) ionic bonding
3) hydrophobic interactions
4) disulfide bonds
5) neither

-I'm pretty sure its not 1) and 2) since changing the pH won't affect the electronegativity of an atom...Pretty sure that its not disulfide bonds either, so from that I am guessing that its hydrophobic interactions..am i right? or is my concept wrong?

A nucleotide containing a purine, ribose, and a phosphate group could be a building block for?

a) dna
b) mRna
c) tRna
d) rRna
e) b,c,d

-Ok it is NOT A for sure, so I am assuming that a nucleotide contaning a purine, ribose, and phosphate group could be a building block for all b,c,d...am i right ? or am i missing an important concept?

A DNA molecule with 5'ATCGTAC3' = 3'TAGCATG5' right?

If one thousaidn glucose molecues arrive in a cell, and the 1000 glucose molecules join together into a starch molecue, what changes occurred with the synthesis of the starch molecule?

-well this is an anabolic pathway since we are building something small into something bigger. So entropy decreases, since this is a non-spontaneous system. However, does the entropy of the universe decrease, or the entropy of the cell decrease?

Dehydration syntehisis will decrease entropy within a system right? since its the formation of smaller molecules into bigger ones?

Biology news on Phys.org
nemzy said:
A nucleotide containing a purine, ribose, and a phosphate group could be a building block for?

a) dna
b) mRna
c) tRna
d) rRna
e) b,c,d

-Ok it is NOT A for sure, so I am assuming that a nucleotide contaning a purine, ribose, and phosphate group could be a building block for all b,c,d...am i right ? or am i missing an important concept?

You are right it is not A. Ribose is in all the type of RNA. rRNA requires some protein component. tRNA also require an amino acid to be complete. Although, C and D would be incomplete, they, however, only ask for building block, and E is the answer

nemzy said:
A DNA molecule with 5'ATCGTAC3' = 3'TAGCATG5' right?

It is right but you should put in 5' to 3'
5' GTACGAT 3'

1) Hydrophobic interactions will most likely be disrupted by a change in pH. This is because hydrophobic interactions rely on the balance of polar and nonpolar interactions, which can be affected by changes in pH. When the pH changes, the charge distribution of molecules can also change, altering the strength of hydrophobic interactions.

2) A nucleotide containing a purine, ribose, and a phosphate group could be a building block for all b, c, and d (mRNA, tRNA, and rRNA). This is because all three types of RNA contain nucleotides with these components, which are necessary for their functions in protein synthesis.

3) Yes, the DNA molecule with 5'ATCGTAC3' = 3'TAGCATG5' is correct. This is because the complementary base pairing rules state that adenine pairs with thymine and guanine pairs with cytosine, and the strands of DNA run antiparallel to each other.

4) The synthesis of the starch molecule involved a decrease in entropy within the cell. This is because the cell had to use energy to bring together 1000 glucose molecules and form a larger molecule, which is a more ordered state. However, the overall entropy of the universe may have increased due to the production of heat during the synthesis process.

1. What is the difference between prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells?

Prokaryotic cells are smaller and simpler than eukaryotic cells. They do not have a true nucleus or membrane-bound organelles, while eukaryotic cells have both. Prokaryotes are typically unicellular, while eukaryotes can be either unicellular or multicellular.

2. What is the role of DNA in genetics?

DNA (deoxyribonucleic acid) carries the genetic information of an organism. It contains the instructions for the development, growth, and functioning of all living organisms. DNA is responsible for passing on genetic traits from parents to offspring.

3. How do enzymes function in biochemical reactions?

Enzymes are proteins that act as catalysts in biochemical reactions. They speed up the rate of a reaction by lowering the activation energy required for the reaction to occur. Enzymes are specific to certain substrates and help to break down or build up molecules in the body.

4. What is the process of photosynthesis?

Photosynthesis is the process by which plants, algae, and some bacteria convert light energy into chemical energy. This process involves the absorption of light by chlorophyll, which is used to convert carbon dioxide and water into glucose and oxygen. Photosynthesis is essential for the survival of most organisms on Earth.

5. How does natural selection drive evolution?

Natural selection is the process by which certain traits become more or less common in a population over time. It occurs when individuals with certain advantageous traits are more likely to survive and reproduce, passing on those traits to their offspring. This drives the evolution of a species as it adapts to changing environmental conditions.