Some intuiontal questions concerning Sakurai's QM.

• Thread starter Kontilera
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qm
In summary, the conversation discusses some intuitive questions and wonderings about Sakurai's 'Modern Quantum Mechanics'. The relationship between kets and bras is a complex conjugation, and the mathematical term for spaces with this kind of metric is a Hermitian metric. There are different interpretations of the concept of measurement in quantum mechanics, including the idea of "destroying information" through the collapse of the wavefunction. Further exploration can be done on the Copenhagen interpretation, many-worlds interpretation, and de Broglie-Bohm theory.
Kontilera
Some intuitional questions concerning Sakurai's QM.

Hello!
I've just started reading Sakurai 's 'Mordern Quantum Mechanics' and open this thread for smaller intuitonal wonderings / questions. Some of them I might be able to solve myself with some help from you guys and others are of the sort that I'll just need clarification from people with a better understanding of QM and the mathematics.

If you think I'm close to the answer feel free to not answer the whole question but just give some leading points. :)
So far my wonderings are:

1. The relation between ket's and bra's is a complex conjugation of the vector/function. Is there any mathematical term for spaces with this kinds of metrics (it doesn't seem like a metric describing a Riemannian manifold)? Is there any pro's or cons to consider the hilbert space as a tangent space of a bigger structure, a manifold? I.e. will I encounter concepts such as parallell transport in QM later?

2. Sakuari talks about how the measurements 'destroys information' of the previous state. Where can I find more information about this? It seems as if I should have heard about it before since the lost of information is a big deal in physics. :)

Thanks really much!

ps. tried to correct the title but the edit doesn't seem to update it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello! It's great that you're diving into Sakurai's 'Modern Quantum Mechanics' and exploring the intuitive aspects of the subject. I'll try my best to answer your questions and provide some insights.

1. The relation between kets and bras is indeed a complex conjugation, and the mathematical term for spaces with this kind of metric is a Hermitian metric. This metric is used in quantum mechanics to define the inner product between kets and bras, which is essential for calculating probabilities and performing measurements. As for considering the Hilbert space as a tangent space of a bigger structure, it is possible to do so and it has been explored in certain approaches to quantum gravity. However, in standard quantum mechanics, the Hilbert space is considered as a complete space in itself and we do not encounter concepts like parallel transport.

2. The concept of measurement in quantum mechanics is a complex and debated topic. The idea of "destroying information" is related to the collapse of the wavefunction after a measurement is performed. This collapse results in a loss of information about the previous state of the system, as only the outcome of the measurement is known. This is also known as the measurement problem in quantum mechanics, and there are different interpretations of how to understand it. Some suggest that the measurement process is inherently random and unpredictable, while others propose that there are hidden variables at play. I recommend looking into the Copenhagen interpretation, the many-worlds interpretation, and the de Broglie-Bohm theory for more information on this topic.

I hope this helps to clarify some of your questions. Keep exploring and asking questions, and best of luck with your studies!

1. What is Sakurai's QM?

Sakurai's QM, also known as Sakurai's quantum mechanics, is a mathematical framework that describes the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It is based on the principles of quantum mechanics, which is the branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a microscopic level.

2. What are some key concepts in Sakurai's QM?

Some key concepts in Sakurai's QM include wave-particle duality, uncertainty principle, quantum superposition, and quantum entanglement. These concepts help explain the behavior of particles at the quantum level and are fundamental to understanding quantum mechanics.

3. How does Sakurai's QM differ from classical mechanics?

Sakurai's QM differs from classical mechanics in several ways. In classical mechanics, particles are described as having definite positions and velocities, whereas in Sakurai's QM, particles are described by wave functions that represent the probability of finding the particle in a certain location. Additionally, classical mechanics follows deterministic laws, while Sakurai's QM introduces randomness and uncertainty into the behavior of particles.

4. What are some practical applications of Sakurai's QM?

Sakurai's QM has many practical applications, such as in the development of technologies like transistors, lasers, and superconductors. It is also used in fields such as chemistry, material science, and quantum computing. Understanding Sakurai's QM is crucial for advancing our understanding of the fundamental building blocks of the universe and developing new technologies.

5. Are there any controversies surrounding Sakurai's QM?

While Sakurai's QM has been widely accepted and has successfully predicted the behavior of particles at the quantum level, there are still some controversies surrounding its interpretation. Some physicists argue that the theory is incomplete and that there may be underlying principles or variables that have yet to be discovered. Others debate the philosophical implications of quantum mechanics, such as the nature of reality and the role of consciousness in the measurement process.