A question about polynomials of degree 2

In summary, the conversation discusses how a second degree polynomial can always be rewritten as either x^2 - a^2 or x^2 + a^2 by using an appropriate change of variable. It is explained that by letting u = x + (b/2a), the constant term can be written as either +k^2 or -k^2 depending on its sign. This is similar to solving the quadratic equation by completing the square and the fact that u^2 + k^2 has no real roots.
eric_999
Hey!

In my calculus book they claim that a second degree polynomial always can be rewritten as x^2 - a^2 or as x^2 + a^2, if you use an appropriate change of variable. I was thinking about how this works.

Let's say we have a second degree polynomial (on the general form?) ax^2 +bx + c = 0, then I can of course rewrite it as (x + (b/2a))^2 - (b/2a)^2 + c/a = 0. My question is if they mean that (x + (b/2a)) = u, and (b/2a)^2 + c/a = k, so we always can write it like either u^2 - k^2 or u^2 + k^2 depending on if k correpsonds to a postive or negative number?

Sorry if my explanation sucks but hope you understand what I mean! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
That's correct. ##u = x + \frac{b}{2a}## makes the coefficient of ##u## zero. You can then write the constant term as ##+k^2## or ##-k^2## depending on whether it is positive or negative.

You might like to think about how factorizing ##u^2 - k^2## is similar to solving the quadratic equation ##ax^2 + bx + c = 0## by completing the square, and the fact that ##u^2 + k^2## has no real roots.

What is a polynomial of degree 2?

A polynomial of degree 2, also known as a quadratic polynomial, is a mathematical expression that contains a variable raised to the second power and has a constant term. It can be written in the form ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants and a is not equal to 0.

How do you determine the degree of a polynomial?

The degree of a polynomial is determined by the highest exponent of the variable in the expression. In a polynomial of degree 2, the highest exponent is 2.

What are the roots of a polynomial of degree 2?

The roots of a polynomial of degree 2 are the values of the variable that make the expression equal to 0. In other words, they are the solutions to the quadratic equation ax^2 + bx + c = 0.

How do you graph a polynomial of degree 2?

To graph a polynomial of degree 2, plot points using the x and y coordinates from the polynomial expression and then connect the points with a smooth curve. Alternatively, you can use the vertex form of a quadratic function, y = a(x-h)^2 + k, to determine the vertex and axis of symmetry to graph the parabola.

What is the relationship between the degree of a polynomial and the number of roots it has?

The degree of a polynomial determines the maximum number of roots it can have. A polynomial of degree 2 can have a maximum of 2 roots, which can be real or complex.