Solve Acid Base Titrations: 0.700-M KOH & 0.350-M H2SO4

In summary: Molarity is the number of moles of solute per liter of solution, while normality is the number of equivalents of solute per liter of solution. In this problem, the given H2SO4 solution is expressed in molarity, but since the equation is a neutralization reaction, the concentration of the base (KOH or LiOH) needs to be expressed in normality in order to determine the amount needed to neutralize the acid. This is why the given equation is important and why the question is asking for the amount of KOH or LiOH needed, as it is the base that will neutralize the acid. In summary, the given equation and the concept of normality are essential
ellaina

Homework Statement

Given H2SO4 + 2LiOH --> Li2SO4 + 2H2O, how many mL of a 0.700-M solution of KOH are needed to react with 235 mL of a 0.350-M H2SO4 solution?

The Attempt at a Solution

Really, I have none. My problem is that I don't understand what the question is asking. I could probably figure this out but for some reason my brain can't reason out what I'm supposed to be aiming for here? Is it wanting to know how many mL of KOH are needed to neutralize the H2SO4? If so, I don't need the given equation do I? Maybe just a hint would send me in the right direction... Then again maybe I am just totally lost.

Thanks in advance for any and all help...

Physics news on Phys.org
At the endpoint, the number of equivalents of base is equal to the number of equivalents of acid.

Ok so here's what I've done:

1) .235L H2O4 solution * .350M = .0823 mol H2SO4
2).0823 mol KOH/.700M = 117.5mL KOH solution

Here's where I'm confused, and maybe I've missed a core concept somewhere...but what am I supposed to do with the given reaction equation?

Ok, I am starting to think that there is a typo in this question and that it should actually be asking "how many mL of *LiOH* are needed..." not "KOh"... Then it would make sense to me!

Don't forget that molarity (M) is not the same as normality (N). The acid solution concentration needs to be expressed in terms of normality, not molarity.

Go to Google, type in "titratiom end points" and look at the top reference. Think that will help you. Good luck.

Steve

Well I don't know about the normality vs molarity thing, we haven't covered that yet...

As far as this question goes, I was able to confirm this evening that there is a typo in the question and it should be asking how many mL of LiOH are needed (KOH is a typo). That clears things up for me completely, I was so lost on why the equation had LiOH but the question was asking for KOH! I was afraid I had completely missed something important. I can do it now that I'm not trying to figure out how KOH came into play :)

Thanks for yalls help tho! Much appreciated :)

1. What is an acid-base titration?

An acid-base titration is a laboratory technique used to determine the concentration of an unknown acid or base solution by reacting it with a known concentration of acid or base solution.

2. How do you calculate the concentration of an acid or base using titration?

To calculate the concentration of an acid or base using titration, you need to know the volume and concentration of the known solution, as well as the volume of the unknown solution used in the reaction. By using the equation M1V1 = M2V2, where M1 is the concentration of the known solution, V1 is the volume of the known solution, M2 is the concentration of the unknown solution, and V2 is the volume of the unknown solution, you can solve for M2, the concentration of the unknown solution.

3. What is the equivalence point in an acid-base titration?

The equivalence point is the point at which the moles of acid are equal to the moles of base in a titration reaction. At this point, all of the acid and base have reacted with each other, and the solution is neutral.

4. What is the purpose of using an indicator in an acid-base titration?

Indicators are substances that change color when the pH of the solution reaches a certain point. They are used in acid-base titrations to visually determine when the equivalence point has been reached, as the color change of the indicator will indicate that the reaction is complete.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of acid-base titration results?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of acid-base titration results, including incorrect measurement of volumes, presence of impurities in the solutions, and failure to reach the equivalence point due to human error or incorrect calculation of the endpoint. It is important to carefully follow the procedure and use precise techniques to obtain accurate results.