Dipole moment electric potential

In summary, the problem involves finding the electric potential at a point 18 cm away from a dipole moment of 2.6nCm. For part a, the dipole moment is calculated using the equation p = qd sin(theta), where q is the charge and theta is the angle of 42 degrees. However, the resulting electric potential of 1.08 kV using sin(42) and 0.971 kV using cos(42) are both incorrect. For part b, the perpendicular bisector is 90 degrees from the dipole moment and the resulting electric potential is zero when multiplied by cos(90 degrees). The correct answers can be obtained by multiplying the original electric potential on the dipole axis
jelliDollFace

Homework Statement

what is the potential 18 cm from a dipole moment 2.6nCm at
a) 42 deg to axis
b) on the perpendicular bisector

note: dipole separation << 18cm

Homework Equations

electric dipole moment, p = qd where q is charge, d is distance
electric potential for point charge, V = kq/r where k is 9*10^9 and r is distance

The Attempt at a Solution

a) 42 degrees

i think my eq may be wrong, but...

p =qd sin (theta) where theta = 42deg
so q = p/dsin(theta)

so V = [k(p/dsin(theta)]/r

so using sin(42) i got V = 1.08 kV and using cos(42) i got V = 0.971 kV --> both incorrect

i'm guessing my eq for electric dipole moment is wrong, i was thinking along the lines of the torque eq, rFsin(theta)

b) not attempted yet, but what is the perpendicular bisector? any tips much appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
how do i factor in the angle into the dipole moment for part a?

anyone, its been 4 days, please help

for part a, i just mulitplied the V you get in the beginning (on the dipole axis) by cos(angle given).
for b, the perpendicular bisector is 90 degrees from the, and if u multiply V by cos(90 deg) you get zero.
at least that's how i solved it, and my answers came out right.

1. What is a dipole moment?

A dipole moment is a measure of the separation of positive and negative charges within a molecule. It is represented by the symbol "μ" and is measured in units of Coulomb-meters (C·m).

2. How is dipole moment related to electric potential?

The dipole moment of a molecule plays a crucial role in determining its electric potential. The electric potential at a point near a dipole is directly proportional to the magnitude of the dipole moment and inversely proportional to the distance between the point and the dipole.

3. What factors affect the dipole moment of a molecule?

The dipole moment of a molecule is affected by the magnitude of the charges on its atoms and the distance between them. It also depends on the shape and orientation of the molecule, with more symmetrical molecules having a smaller dipole moment.

4. How is dipole moment used in chemistry?

Dipole moment is an important concept in chemistry as it helps to explain various properties of molecules, such as their polarity and reactivity. It is often used in predicting the solubility of compounds in different solvents and in understanding intermolecular forces.

5. Can dipole moment be measured experimentally?

Yes, dipole moment can be measured experimentally using techniques such as infrared spectroscopy or dielectric constant measurements. These methods involve applying an external electric field to the molecule and measuring its response, which can then be used to calculate the dipole moment.