Introduction to Mechanics: Berkeley Physics Series Vol. 1 Kittel

In summary, the author is looking for an introductory book on Mechanics and recommends the Berkeley Physics Series. The series is published by McGraw Hill in India and sells for about $10 each. Volume 2 of the series, Electricity and Magnetism, is used by many top universities. Volume 1 of the series, Mechanics, is also recommended, but may be too focused on physics for someone who has never studied physics.Finally, the author recommends A. P. French's Newtonian Mechanics as the ideal introductory book for someone who has never studied physics.
Curtis1000
I am looking for an introductory book on Mechanics. (I have never studied Physics before)
Calculus (Single and multivariable) is not a problem. Kleppner's "Introduction to Mechanics" looks great, but it is very expensive.

At a few of the internet books seller sites, I have seen the "Berkeley Physics Series" for sale.
The books are published by McGraw Hill in India (SI units.) The books are paperback and sell for about $10 each. I know that Volume 2 on Electricity and Magnetism by Purcell is used by many top universities. Is anyone familiar with Volume 1 of the series, Mechanics by Kittel?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm borrowing the Berkeley Mechanics text from a professor this semester. I haven't thoroughly gone through it yet, but if you have any questions about it I may be able to answer.

Curtis1000 said:
I am looking for an introductory book on Mechanics. (I have never studied Physics before)
Calculus (Single and multivariable) is not a problem. Kleppner's "Introduction to Mechanics" looks great, but it is very expensive.

At a few of the internet books seller sites, I have seen the "Berkeley Physics Series" for sale.
The books are published by McGraw Hill in India (SI units.) The books are paperback and sell for about $10 each. I know that Volume 2 on Electricity and Magnetism by Purcell is used by many top universities. Is anyone familiar with Volume 1 of the series, Mechanics by Kittel?

I've skimmed through the mechanics book, I think its meant for a freshman course in classical mechanics, not sure if its the best 1st intro to the subject though.

I used the Waves volume for some practice problems and thought the presentation of theory was very clear, but it might take for granted you know quite a bit of math.

Serway's and Tipler's general physics textbooks seem like the go-to choice for a first contact with a variety of subjects, but if you can get a good deal on the Berkley series (sounds like a good deal to me), definitely go for it, just get some foundation with a more "all-in-one" textbook like Tipler's.

Likes poseidon721
I've tried to order books from India, and they won't ship to someone outside of that country. I too would rather pay $10 or whatever for a book from India than the not un-common >=$100 textbooks from the USA or wherever. Pity they won't sell them too us. The Berkley Physics Series is out of print and very expensive, and probably not worth the price, seeing as there are so many other textbooks to choose from.

Solutions Manuals for Berkeley Physics Series?

Are there solutions manuals available for the Berkeley Physics series? In fact, I am looking for a source for solutions manuals for textbooks for things that I would like to study independently. I am older and retired and am just pursuing this out of my own interests.

If this is the first time you have to study physics, perhaps Kleppner would be - notwithstanding it being an excellent introduction to mechanics - 'too focused' on mechanics.
I have all the volumes of the Berkeley Physics series and I love them, but they suffer a bit of the passing of time. Kittel's volume on Mechanics gives a nice intro to physics but somehow I would not recommend it to someone wishing to learn mechanics. It's... too focused on... physics :-).
So, is there a third way? Well, I believe you should listen to Daverz suggestion: French's Newtonian mechanics is the ideal introductory book (IMO) for someone who never studied physics (because it starts from scratch and leave nothing unexplained - this at the expense of being a bit too wordy) and wants to study mechanics (fairly good covering of the most important topics, plus a good deal of examples). Plus, the latest Norton edition is relatively inexpensive (even if it looks like a bad xerox copy, but it is tolerable).

All that, said, I you can get hold of Berkeley's Physics volumes for 10 bucks each, GRAB THEM!

PS
Oh, dear, I just realized I answered to a post 4 months old. :-)
And I have no answer for the necromancer, too.
Oh, well...

Last edited:

1. What is the main focus of "Introduction to Mechanics: Berkeley Physics Series Vol. 1 Kittel"?

The main focus of this book is to introduce students to the fundamental principles of classical mechanics, including kinematics, dynamics, and energy conservation. It also covers more advanced topics such as rigid body dynamics and Lagrangian mechanics.

2. Is this book suitable for beginners in physics?

Yes, this book is designed for students with little or no background in physics. It starts with basic concepts and builds upon them, making it accessible for beginners.

3. Does this book include practical applications of mechanics?

Yes, this book includes numerous examples and problems that demonstrate the application of mechanical principles in real-world scenarios. It also includes discussions on the importance of mechanics in various fields such as engineering, astronomy, and biomechanics.

4. How does this book differ from other introductory mechanics textbooks?

This book is known for its clear and concise explanations, numerous illustrations, and thought-provoking problems. It also emphasizes the importance of conceptual understanding and problem-solving skills, rather than memorization of formulas.

5. Is this book suitable for self-study or is it better used as a textbook for a course?

While this book can be used for self-study, it is primarily designed for use in a classroom setting. It includes many exercises and problems, which are best utilized with the guidance of a teacher or mentor. However, motivated and dedicated students can certainly use it for self-study as well.