Calculating Potential Energy Change on an Incline - What am I doing wrong?

In summary, the conversation involves a .4 kg mass moving up an incline with a vertical height of 7.0 cm. The potential energy change is initially calculated using the formula for the potential energy of a spring, but the correct formula for gravitational potential energy is mgΔh. The question also asks about the work done when a force of .85N is used to raise the mass back to the top of the incline, which can be calculated using the formula W=fd. However, the person asking the questions is struggling with understanding the concepts and formulas, and is advised to take time to understand the problems and consult their textbook for guidance. The final answer for the potential energy change is approximately 0.28 joules
winterma
A .4 kg mass moves up 40 cm along an incline. The vertical height of the incline is 7.0 cm. The potential energy change is??

I used the formula for PEC. 1/2k(deltaX)^2 which got me to 320 joules. That is wrong though. What am i doing wrong?

If a force of .85N pulled parallel up along the surface of the incline is required to raise the mass back to the top of the incline, how much work is done?

i used W=fd
w=.85(40)
w=34

but that answer is wrong. I am doing something wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
winterma said:
A .4 kg mass moves up 40 cm along an incline. The vertical height of the incline is 7.0 cm. The potential energy change is??

I used the formula for PEC. 1/2k(deltaX)^2 which got me to 320 joules. That is wrong though. What am i doing wrong?
What's "PEC"? And if I'm not mistaken, the expression (not formula) you've given is that for the potential energy due to the extension of a spring -- this problem has nothing to do with springs. Gravitational potential energy, in this case, is given by:

[tex]\Delta E_{grav} = mg\Delta h[/tex]

Where m is the mass of the object, g is the gravitational constant, and [itex]\Delta h[/itex] is the change in height. A little trigonometry will allow you to determine the total change in height of the object.

If a force of .85N pulled parallel up along the surface of the incline is required to raise the mass back to the top of the incline, how much work is done?

i used W=fd
w=.85(40)
w=34

but that answer is wrong. I am doing something wrong.
At this point, I've given you a number of formulas, but the questions you ask suggest that you aren't understanding some of the basic concepts of these physics questions. You can find the formulas yourself, and you should, yourself, be able to figure out which formulas to use, and when, but you don't seem to get the concepts. Make sure you take time to understand these problems and whatever your textbook says, even though you can quickly find the right formula and plug in the right numbers. Now, tell us what your books says the answer is, and maybe we'll try and work backwards.

There is something goofy about the question. In the first part, does the mass go up or down the incline?

It makes no difference, because you have a mass of 0.4 kg that changes elevation by 7 cm. Therefore the mass will lose or gain (depending on the direction of travel) PE = mgh = 0.4(9.8)(0.07) = ... joules of potential energy during the process.

so rounded off, the G.P.E is 0.28 joules. i don't see why you require harder formulas than just gpe = mgh.

1. What is potential energy change?

Potential energy change is the difference in the amount of potential energy possessed by an object before and after a change in its position or shape.

2. What factors affect potential energy change?

The factors that affect potential energy change include the mass of the object, the height or distance from the ground, and the force acting on the object.

3. How is potential energy change calculated?

The formula for calculating potential energy change is PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height or distance from the ground.

4. What are some examples of potential energy change?

Some examples of potential energy change include a roller coaster at the top of a hill, a book on a shelf, and a stretched rubber band.

5. How is potential energy change different from kinetic energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or shape, while kinetic energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its motion. Potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy and vice versa.