How far does the block slide? (work, spring, incline)

In summary: It varies and the work done is not (ks)s. The work done is the integral of F(s)ds from 0 to s. So the actual formula is (1/2)ks^2. So the total work done on the block is (1/2)k(s^2 - .225^2). Set that equal to mgh and solve for s.In summary, the system is released from rest with no slack in the cable and with the spring stretched 225 mm. The distance s traveled by the 3.2-kg cart before it comes to rest is positive if up the incline, negative if down. When m approaches zero, the distance s is 0 or
magnesium12

Homework Statement

The system is released from rest with no slack in the cable and with the spring stretched 225 mm. Determine the distance s traveled by the 3.2-kg cart before it comes to rest (a) if m approaches zero and (b) if m = 2.5 kg. Assume no mechanical interference and no friction. The distance s is positive if up the incline, negative if down.
Diagram: https://imgur.com/hniHevB

Homework Equations

W = Fd
W = ΔU + ΔT

The Attempt at a Solution

a)
I drew an FBD of the 3.2kg block, ignoring the other mass entirely. I had a Fs (force of the spring) pointing up the incline, FW (weight of the block) pointing straight down, and N (normal force) pointing upwards normal to the incline.

I defined up the incline to be the positive x-axis. Normal to the incline is the y-axis.

I tried defining the potential energy states (U) and kinetic energy states (T) as it is released and as the block is released (state 1) and after it slides down the incline and comes to a rest (state 2).

U1 = Fs1 = kx1 = (160N/m)(0.225m) = 36N
U2 = Fs2 = kx2 = (160N/m)(s + 0.225m) = (160s)N + 36N
ΔU = U2 - U1 = 160s + 36 - 36 = 160s

T1 = 0.5mv2 = 0 (because v=0 right as it is released)
T2 = 0.5mv2 = 0 (because v=0 when it comes to a rest)
ΔT = 0

W = Fd = Fs(s) + Fws = kss2 + mgs = 160s2 + 3.2kg(9.81)s
= 160s2 + 31.392s

W = ΔU = Fd
160s = 160s2 + 31.392s
Solve for s: 0, 0.80379m (Incorrect Answer)

Can someone point out where I'm going wrong? Is it my interpretation of what s is? Or maybe how I'm calculating the potential and kinetic energies of each state?

b)
I drew another FBD which has the same components as in part a, but with an added uphill tension caused by the force of gravity acting on the second mass (called FT).

Calculating FT from the second mass:
2T + FW,2 = 0
T = FW,2 /2 = 2.5kg(9.81m/s/s)/2 = 12.263I tried defining the potential energy states (U) and kinetic energy states (T) as it is released and as the block is released (state 1) and after it slides down the incline and comes to a rest (state 2).

U1 = Fs1 + FT= kx1 = (160N/m)(0.225m) = 36N + 12.263N = 48.263N
U2 = Fs2 + FT = kx2 = (160N/m)(s + 0.225m) + 12.263N = (160s)N + 48.263N
ΔU = U2 - U1 = 160s + 48.263 - 48.263 = 160s

T1 = 0.5mv2 = 0 (because v=0 right as it is released)
T2 = 0.5mv2 = 0 (because v=0 when it comes to a rest)
ΔT = 0

W = Fd = Fs(s) + Fws + FTs= kss2 + mgs + 12.263 = 160s2 + 3.2kg(9.81)s + 12.263
= 160s2 + 31.392s + 12.263

W = ΔU = Fd
160s = 160s2 + 31.392s +12.263
Solve for s: 0.11056 OR 0.69323m (Incorrect Answers)

I assume I'm doing the same thing wrong here as in part a, but I can't figure out what it is.

Thank you for any help you can give!

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the elastic PE stored in a spring of constant k and extended or compressed distance x?

Is there a mass associated with the pulley? The system is frictionless right? Maybe first define the coordinates of the pulleys and draw free diagram for each one?

haruspex said:
What is the elastic PE stored in a spring of constant k and extended or compressed distance x?
Thank you for your help!

Okay, so I figured out the PE of a spring is kx2/2. So for the first case (ignoring the second mass completely), I've now got this:

Potential energy of the block
U1 = kx2/2 = 160(0.225)2/2 = 4.05
U2 = ks2 = 160(s)2/2 = 80s2
ΔU = U2 - U1 = 80s2 - 4.05

Work done on the block by gravity:
Wg = -mgxs = -mgsin(26)s (assuming up the incline is the x-axis)

Work done on the block by the spring:
Ws = Fss = (ks)s = 160s2

ΔU = ΣW
80s2 - 4.05 = 160s2 - mgsin(26)s
0 = 80s2 - 3.2(9.81)sin(26)s + 4.05 <---------------------- gives no solutions.

Is there some other component doing work on the system that I am missing? Or do I need to take into consideration the kinetic energy too? If so, do I need to assume there is a velocity for the block right as the system is released?

magnesium12 said:
Work done on the block by the spring:
Ws = Fss = (ks)s = 160s2
You are making the same mistake again. The force the spring exerts is not constant across the range s.

1. How does the work done by the spring affect the distance the block slides?

The work done by the spring will directly impact the distance the block slides. This is because the work done by the spring is equal to the force of the spring multiplied by the distance it stretches or compresses. Therefore, the more work done by the spring, the greater the force applied to the block and the farther it will slide.

2. Does the angle of the incline affect the distance the block slides?

Yes, the angle of the incline will affect the distance the block slides. This is because the force of gravity acting on the block will be split into two components: one parallel to the incline and one perpendicular to the incline. The component parallel to the incline will cause the block to slide, so the steeper the incline, the greater this component will be and the farther the block will slide.

3. What is the relationship between the mass of the block and the distance it slides?

The mass of the block will not directly affect the distance it slides. This is because the force of gravity acting on the block is proportional to its mass, so as the mass increases, so does the force. However, the force is also divided into the two components mentioned earlier, so the net effect on the distance the block slides is minimal.

4. How does the coefficient of friction affect the distance the block slides?

The coefficient of friction will have an inverse relationship with the distance the block slides. In other words, the higher the coefficient of friction, the shorter the distance the block will slide. This is because the coefficient of friction represents the resistive force that opposes the motion of the block, so a higher coefficient will result in a stronger force acting against the block's motion.

5. Is the distance the block slides affected by the initial velocity of the block?

No, the distance the block slides is not affected by the initial velocity. This is because the initial velocity only determines the speed at which the block begins to slide, but it does not affect the distance it will travel. The distance the block slides is determined by the forces acting on it and the work done by those forces, not the initial velocity.