Solving D.E with Laplace

• Thread starter Larsson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laplace
In summary: I'm doing a Laplace transform on a differential equation that includes a Dirac function. In summary, the conversation revolves around using Laplace transforms to solve a differential equation involving a Dirac function. The correct solution involves inserting a Heaviside function and compensating for the 1/4 exp(t) term to ensure that the limited solution does not grow infinitely. There may be some confusion regarding the initial conditions, but the correct solution can be obtained by using the given initial values and inserting the Heaviside function manually.
Larsson
I have

y'' + 2y' - 3y = Dirac(t)

I use the laplacetransformation and get

s^2Y + 2sY - 3Y = 1

Y = 1/4 * 1/(s-1) - 1/4 * 1/(s+3) (skipped some steps)

I try to use inverselaplace and recieve

y = 1/4*exp(t) * H(t) - 1/4 * exp(-3t)*H(t)

Where H(t) is the heaviside function.
the correct answear should be 1/4*exp(t) *( H(t) -1) - 1/4 * exp(-3t)*H(t).

What am I doing wrong. They ask for "the limited solution" does that mean anything particulairy?

Thnx for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
You left out the initial values when you performed the Laplace transform on the original DE.

Tide said:
You left out the initial values when you performed the Laplace transform on the original DE.

There were no initial values if you mean like y(0) och y'(0). But I think I understand it anyhow. the key lies in the "limited solution". A limited solution can't eb allowed to grow infinite, and therefor we have to compensate for the 1/4 exp(t)

Hello guys. Are you referring to the following IVP:

[tex]y^{''}+2y^{'}-3y=\delta_0(t);\quad y(0)=0\quad y^{'}(0)=0^-[/tex]

(You'll need initial conditions to solve via Laplace transforms.)

It's a bit awkward that one initial condition is given "prior" to t=0. Perhaps this is the "limiting" case the author refers to. Anyway, I don't get all those Heaviside's. I get one and it has to be inserted manually:

[tex]y(t)=H(t)\left(\frac{e^t}{4}-\frac{e^{-3t}}{4}\right)[/tex]

Last edited:

Related to Solving D.E with Laplace

1. What is Laplace transform?

Laplace transform is a mathematical tool used to solve differential equations by transforming them from the time domain to the frequency domain.

2. How does Laplace transform help in solving differential equations?

Laplace transform converts a differential equation into an algebraic equation, making it easier to solve. It also allows us to use algebraic manipulation and table of Laplace transforms to solve the equation.

3. What types of differential equations can be solved with Laplace transform?

Laplace transform can be used to solve linear, time-invariant, and constant coefficient differential equations. It is not suitable for solving nonlinear or time-varying differential equations.

4. What are the advantages of using Laplace transform to solve differential equations?

Laplace transform provides a systematic and efficient method for solving differential equations. It also allows us to solve higher order equations without having to use multiple integrations.

5. Are there any limitations to using Laplace transform for solving differential equations?

Yes, Laplace transform can only be used for solving certain types of differential equations. It also requires some knowledge of complex numbers and their properties.