Cropping PDFs for Documents: A Guide

• Thread starter Rajini
  • Start date
In summary: If you open a pdf file using adobe acrobat professional you can crop it..After opening the pdf file just go to 'Document' then 'Crop pages'..There using crop option you can cut to desired cutting boundry and then save the pdf..After saving when you open you will get only the cropped part. After cropping i included the image pdf file into my latex document. After compiling it worked fine..But in case if i search for a text (let us say: the same word from uncropped pdf file) in the compiled pdf document, it is showing as a blue mark
Rajini
Dear all,
i just need to know the correct way to crop a pdf file, which contains a picture.
I already cropped so that i select only the picture...but after saving and including in a latex document...everything worked fine...
But when i search for some words...they still appear as invisible!
For e.g., the pdf file that i cropped has some paragraph...When i search some word (it may be in the un-cropped pdf file,,,it is also showing, actually not showing the word but it is selects some space in the document..
is there a way to crop completely...??
thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
Rajini said:
i just need to know the correct way to crop a pdf file, which contains a picture. is there a way to crop completely...??
How did you crop it? What format did you save it in?

Just use the snapshot tool in reader to select the image, paste it into paint, change the paint window to the right size, and save it as an image (BMP, JPEG, ETC.) Use the image file in your latex doc. You should lose all the PDF remnants that way.

Converting the pdf to an image, then cropping the image (and saving the cropped image as an image) should also work. imagemagick would work for that. I have also just learned that you can copy the pdf into paint and just crop the image that way.

Hi,
If you open a pdf file using adobe acrobat professional you can crop it..After opening the pdf file just go to 'Document' then 'Crop pages'..There using crop option you can cut to desired cutting boundry and then save the pdf..After saving when you open you will get only the cropped part. After cropping i included the image pdf file into my latex document. After compiling it worked fine..But in case if i search for a text (let us say: the same word from uncropped pdf file) in the compiled pdf document, it is showing as a blue mark. And i want to avoid these blue marks.
The schematic figures in that pdf is really good (vector type image). So i don't want to convert it to jpeg or bmp, etc and then crop and then reconvert it to pdf (but this pdf is of not good quality).
Do you understand my problem..If not i can send you a sample file of one page.
Thanks

Rajini said:
Do you understand my problem..If not i can send you a sample file of one page.

I do, but conversion's the best way I can think of to absolutely ditch all the pdf metadate/text/remnants. You can always save to image to another lossless type (like TIFF).

Hi story645,
i solved the problem...[i tried with tiff..but still not good..reason: my image is already a bad one].
May be helpful for others:
After cropping the pdf, then 'save as' in eps format then convert again to pdf..
Now in the newly converted pdf if you look at crop option (i said in my previous reply) you will see all are set to zero..
thanks you

1. What is the purpose of cropping PDFs for documents?

The purpose of cropping PDFs for documents is to remove any unnecessary or unwanted content from the document, such as margins, headers, or footers. This allows for a more streamlined and professional-looking document.

2. Can I crop a PDF without affecting the original document?

Yes, most PDF editing software allows you to crop a PDF without permanently altering the original document. This way you can make changes to the cropped version without losing the original.

3. How do I crop a PDF using Adobe Acrobat?

To crop a PDF using Adobe Acrobat, open the document and go to the "Tools" menu. Select "Edit PDF" and then click on "Crop Pages." Adjust the crop handles to select the portion of the document you want to keep and click "Apply" to save the changes.

4. Can I crop a PDF on my mobile device?

Yes, there are many mobile apps available for both iOS and Android devices that allow you to crop PDFs. Some popular options include Adobe Acrobat Reader, PDFelement, and PDF Expert.

5. Are there any limitations to cropping a PDF?

Yes, there may be limitations depending on the software or app you are using. Some may not allow you to crop certain types of PDFs or may have restrictions on the size or shape of the cropped area. It's always best to check the software's capabilities before attempting to crop a PDF.