Resistivity measurements of a circular shaped sample

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of resistivity for a circular sample using two probe measurements. The specific geometry of the sample is important in determining the appropriate method and formula to use. The conversation mentions the use of Coulomb-Bousinesq equations for a three-dimensional problem and the potential use of the Vanderpauw and collinear four probe configurations. Finally, the sample in question is described as a circular pellet with a thickness of 0.6mm and diameter of 13mm.
brk
Hai,
I am doing my masters degree in physics. can somebody help me in which formula to use for calculating resistivity of a sample of circular shape using two probe measurements, which should include thickness and correction factor also.
Thank You!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
You should be able to get the resistivity from a measurement of the DC resistance across the sample and it's geometry. Which direction you take the resistance measurement depends on the specifics of your samples shape. "circular shape" is a little vague.

thanks for the reply...
I measured the dc resistance already,but how to calculate the resistivity for a circular sample. Using two probe method.

how to calculate the resistivity for a circular sample. Using two probe method.
Nov12-12 04:09 AM

Circular is a 2 dimensional shape. You have lost one dimension.

It is usual to choose the measurement sample so that it is long compared to its cross sectional area (ie along a length of wire) so that the effect of the spread of current may be ignored.

If you are measuring across a disk or ball shaped object then you will have to set up and solve the Coulomb-Bousinesq equations, using your dimensions as boundary conditions. Hertz solved these in about 1885.

However it is a three dimensional problem so you need to be clear as to the geometry.

Studiot said:
Circular is a 2 dimensional shape. You have lost one dimension.
I was going to say - yeah ... "circular volume" is sometimes used to describe a flat cylinder though - like a coin is "a circle" in common language, right?

Still, I did try to prompt for this:
me said:
...measurement depends on the specifics of your samples shape. "circular shape" is a little vague.
... maybe that should have been an explicit question. OK. What is the 3D geometry of your sample?

Otherwise the best anyone can do is describe the 2-probe method in general.

i understood what you are trying to convey!
it is circular disk shaped sample of thickness of 1mm or so. The resistivity of the sample is very high, so we preferred to measure using two probe method. There are formulas for vanderpauw, collinear four probe configurations to calculate the resistivity from the measured voltage. Similarly i need a formula for two probe configuration to calculate the resistivity of circular disk shaped sample.

You still didn't answer the question about the geometry.

it is circular pellet of thickness 0.6mm and diameter 13mm.

1. What is resistivity?

Resistivity is a measure of a material's ability to resist the flow of electric current. It is typically represented by the Greek symbol rho (ρ) and is measured in ohm-meters (Ω·m).

2. How is resistivity measured?

Resistivity is measured by applying a known voltage to a sample and measuring the resulting current. This is done using a device called a multimeter, which can calculate the resistivity based on Ohm's law (ρ = V/I).

3. Why is a circular shaped sample used for resistivity measurements?

A circular shape is often used because it has a uniform distribution of current flow, making it easier to calculate the resistivity. Additionally, circular samples are easier to manufacture and handle compared to other shapes.

4. What factors can affect the resistivity measurement of a circular sample?

The resistivity of a circular sample can be affected by factors such as temperature, impurities in the material, and the diameter and length of the sample. These factors can alter the material's ability to conduct electricity and therefore affect the resistivity measurement.

5. How is the resistivity of a circular sample used in real-world applications?

The resistivity of a material is an important property in various industries, including electronics, construction, and energy. It is used to determine the conductivity and efficiency of materials and is also used in the design and development of electrical devices and systems.