Installing Java Editors J2K/J2SDK?

• Java
  • Thread starter SDNess
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Java
In summary, the person is having trouble installing java editors on their computer and is asking for advice on how to install them. They have tried SunOne Studio and BlueJ, but both require a JDK/J2SDK to be installed. They are then given a suggestion to try Eclipse, which is open source and faster than SunOne. They also ask for help on where to put the J2EE SDK 1.4 Developer Release and eventually figure out how to get everything to work.
SDNess
Umm...I've tried two java editors on my computer and I'm getting the same installation "error" (not really an error, but whatever). I tried Sun's SunOne Studio and it asked me for the "J2SDK home"...saying that I didn't have one and I needed one in order to solve the files. Likewise, when I attempted to install BLueJ it said a "...JDK/J2SDK must be installed to run BlueJ..."

How do I install this thing?

Technology news on Phys.org
yep, Eclipse rulz. and is faster than SunOne...

I downloaded it. It seems better. I'm not that familiar with java in general yet. When I use java in the computer lab they have use SunOne and I've been using 'empty classes' so far...how do I make those in Eclipse?

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html

download the sdk, not the jre
I'm assuming the: J2EE(TM) SDK 1.4 Developer Release

If so...once I download this, what 'Installation Directory" do I put it in? The default one already in the textbox is C:\Sun\AppServer...is this right?

whatever the default is fine.

ARG. Me =

Where do I put the Version 7.x Installation Directory?

Thanks a lot. I finally got them all to work.

Originally posted by SDNess

Thanks a lot. I finally got them all to work.

hey, any friend of Java is a friend of mine

1. What is the difference between J2K and J2SDK?

The main difference between J2K (Java 2 Kernel) and J2SDK (Java 2 Standard Development Kit) is the purpose they serve. J2K is a lightweight version of Java designed for embedded systems, while J2SDK is a comprehensive development kit for creating Java applications.

2. How do I install a Java editor?

To install a Java editor, first download the desired editor from a trusted source. Then, follow the installation instructions provided by the editor's website. Usually, this involves running an installation file and selecting the desired installation location.

3. Can I use any Java editor for J2K/J2SDK?

Yes, any Java editor that supports the version of Java you are using can be used for J2K/J2SDK. However, it is recommended to use an editor specifically designed for Java development, as it will have features and tools that are tailored for Java programming.

4. Do I need to set up any configurations after installing a Java editor for J2K/J2SDK?

Yes, you will need to set up the Java Development Kit (JDK) path in your editor's settings. This tells the editor where to find the necessary Java files for compiling and running your code. Without this configuration, the editor will not be able to execute your Java programs.

5. Are there any alternatives to installing a Java editor for J2K/J2SDK?

Yes, there are online Java editors that can be used without installation. These editors usually have limited features and may not be suitable for complex Java projects, but they can be a convenient option for quick coding or learning purposes.