What Are Good Physics Resources for Superconductivity and Astrophysics Research?

• Thread starter FcUk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation is about finding good physics sites to assist with a research assignment. The questions include discussing the applications of superconductivity on computers, generators, motors, power grids, and transport, as well as the advantages of photoelectric techniques and the impact of measurement technologies on our understanding of celestial objects. Some recommended sites include www.aps.org, www.aip.org, and www.merlot.org.
FcUk
Good physics sites for...?

Hey guys

I have been given a research assignment which I am finding difficulty finding useful information on some of the questions on the site I've used www.yahoo.com search key words etc... and it asks a number of things which are:

1. Discuss the possible applications ofsuoerconductivity and the effects of these applications on computers, generators and motors, transmission of electricity through power grids and transport inluding the maglev train.

2. Astrophysics

a. Describe the advantages of photoelectric techniques over photographic methods of photometry

b. Assess the impact of improvements in measurement technologies on our understanding of celestial objects

Would anyone happen to know any good sites that i could use to assist with any parts of these questions??

Cheers

Daniel :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi Daniel,

For your first question on superconductivity, I would recommend checking out the official website of the American Physical Society (APS) which has a section dedicated to superconductivity (https://www.aps.org/programs/education/resources/superconductivity.cfm). This site provides a lot of information on the applications of superconductivity in various fields such as computing, energy, and transportation.

For your second question on astrophysics, a good site to start with would be the website of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) (https://www.nasa.gov/). They have a section specifically for astrophysics which covers a wide range of topics and provides updates on the latest research and technology advancements in the field.

Additionally, the American Astronomical Society (AAS) also has a website (https://aas.org/) which offers resources and information on various topics in astrophysics, including photoelectric techniques and advancements in measurement technologies.

I hope these sites will be helpful in your research. Good luck!

1. What are some reputable websites for learning about physics?

Some popular and reliable websites for learning about physics include Khan Academy, Physics Classroom, HyperPhysics, and Physics.org. These sites offer a wide range of topics and materials, from basic concepts to advanced theories and experiments.

2. Are there any physics websites specifically for students?

Yes, there are many websites tailored for students at different levels of education. Some examples include Physicscentral, Physicsworld, and Physicsbuzz, which offer interactive activities, games, and videos to engage students in learning physics.

3. Can I find free resources on these physics websites?

Yes, most of the reputable physics websites offer free resources such as lectures, tutorials, and worksheets. Some may also offer paid subscriptions for more in-depth materials, but there are plenty of free options available for students and enthusiasts.

4. Are there any physics websites with community forums or discussion boards?

Yes, many physics websites have community forums or discussion boards where users can ask questions, share ideas, and discuss various topics in physics. Some examples include Physics Forums, Stack Exchange, and Physics Help Forum.

5. Can I find current news and updates on physics websites?

Yes, some physics websites also offer sections for news and updates on the latest discoveries, experiments, and breakthroughs in the field. Physics Today, Phys.org, and Science Daily are some examples of websites that provide up-to-date news on physics.