How to start with advanced quantum mechanics

In summary, the person is seeking recommendations on how to continue their studies in quantum mechanics after completing a year-long course. They are considering starting with Merzbacher and R.Shankar's books and have received suggestions to also read Ballentine and Isham. They also mention the possibility of studying Hilbert Space through Prof.V.Balakrishnan's lectures on YouTube.
dekajyo
Hey, I did a full year course on quantum mechanics, I did it in the level of Resnick and Eisberg and Griffiths... Now I want to proceed further in the summer and start with Heisenberg Matrix Mechanics as well... I want recommendation on how to start... I'm thinking of starting with Merzbacher and R.Shankar...

Physics news on Phys.org
I really suggest the book by Ballentine, supplemented by Shankar :)

I second Ballentine, and recommend that you read Isham on the side, or before you start with Ballentine. (Isham is much easier, but should help your understanding a lot).

"Matrix mechanics" is an obsolete term. The theory that these books will teach you is based on the Hilbert space approach to quantum theory that von Neumann came up with in the late 1920s, or rather Dirac's version of it from the early 1930s. (I reserve the right to be completely wrong about the history of QM :smile:)

I recommend the courses by Prof.V.Balakrishnan in Quantum Mechanics on youtube also. He is really good at explaining Hilbert Space even if you don't have much background in linear algebra.

First of all, congratulations on completing a full year course on quantum mechanics! It sounds like you have a solid foundation in the subject. As for starting with advanced quantum mechanics, I would recommend building upon your knowledge of traditional quantum mechanics before diving into Heisenberg Matrix Mechanics. This will help you understand the underlying principles and concepts before moving on to more advanced topics.

I would suggest starting with a textbook that covers the fundamentals of quantum mechanics, such as David Griffiths' "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" or Leonard Susskind's "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum." These books provide a clear and comprehensive introduction to the subject and will help you review and solidify your understanding of traditional quantum mechanics.

Once you feel comfortable with the fundamentals, you can then move on to more advanced topics like Heisenberg Matrix Mechanics. As you mentioned, textbooks like Merzbacher's "Quantum Mechanics" and R. Shankar's "Principles of Quantum Mechanics" are excellent resources for this. I would also recommend supplementing your studies with online lectures and resources, such as MIT OpenCourseWare or Khan Academy.

In addition, it may be helpful to join a study group or attend seminars and workshops on advanced quantum mechanics to further enhance your understanding and engage in discussions with other experts in the field.

Overall, the key to mastering advanced quantum mechanics is to build upon your existing knowledge, stay curious and motivated, and seek out additional resources and opportunities for learning. Good luck on your journey towards becoming an expert in this fascinating field!

1. What are the prerequisites for learning advanced quantum mechanics?

The prerequisites for learning advanced quantum mechanics include a strong understanding of linear algebra, multivariable calculus, and classical mechanics. It is also helpful to have some knowledge of basic quantum mechanics, including the Schrödinger equation and the concept of quantum states.

2. What are the main topics covered in advanced quantum mechanics?

Advanced quantum mechanics covers a wide range of topics, including quantum field theory, scattering theory, relativistic quantum mechanics, and many-body systems. It also delves deeper into the mathematical foundations of quantum mechanics, such as Hilbert spaces and operators.

3. What are the best resources for learning advanced quantum mechanics?

There are many excellent resources available for learning advanced quantum mechanics, including textbooks, online courses, and lectures. Some popular textbooks include "Quantum Field Theory" by Mark Srednicki and "Quantum Mechanics: A Modern Development" by Leslie E. Ballentine. Online resources such as MIT OpenCourseWare and Coursera also offer comprehensive courses on advanced quantum mechanics.

4. How can I apply advanced quantum mechanics in my research?

Advanced quantum mechanics has a wide range of applications in various fields, including condensed matter physics, particle physics, and quantum information science. If you are working in one of these areas, advanced quantum mechanics can provide you with a deeper understanding of the underlying principles and help you develop new theoretical models and techniques for your research.

5. What are the current challenges in advanced quantum mechanics research?

One of the biggest challenges in advanced quantum mechanics research is the development of a unified theory that can explain all quantum phenomena, including the behavior of particles at the subatomic level and the nature of spacetime. Other challenges include finding ways to experimentally test and validate theories, and understanding the role of quantum mechanics in the macroscopic world.