Earth's Magnetic Field: Life, Solar Winds & Astronauts

In summary, The Earth's field reverses every million years or so - during which time the field at large bits of the surface must be close to zero for long periods of time. Life seems to have survived so far. PEMF - Astronauts working in space today are relatively safe, w.r.t. solar wind pressure / high energy radiation - considering the periods spent in space -today. A trip to Mars and beyond may present different challenges.
dysond
Hi I have two questions.
1. is all life on Earth reliant on energy from the Earth's magnetic field- Iknow it protects us from solar winds.
2. do astronauts need pemf in their capsules or space staions?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, no.

dysond said:
Hi I have two questions.
1. is all life on Earth reliant on energy from the Earth's magnetic field- Iknow it protects us from solar winds.

I'd say that shielding us from solar winds and such is helpful, but I'd bet on life still being around without it.

Im not sure what PEMF means, so I can't say on that.

Personal ElectroMagnetic Field?

Drakkith said:
I'd say that shielding us from solar winds and such is helpful, but I'd bet on life still being around without it.

Perhaps, but not human-type life on such an exposed surface.
Unless underground, of course.

pallidin said:
Perhaps, but not human-type life on such an exposed surface.
Unless underground, of course.
The Earth's field reverses every million years or so - during which time the field at large bits of the surface must be close to zero for long periods of time. Life seems to have survived so far

Pemf -pulsed electromagnetic field

dysond said:

The ISS and therefore the shuttle remain largely inside the Earth's magnetic field. There is largely no need for additional shielding. Astronauts are considered radiation workers under US law and therefore are allowed a certain amount of radiation dose as part of their duties.

When we partnered with the Russians for the International Space Station (ISS), the orbital inclination of the ISS was adjusted to allow for easier access from their higher latitude launches. This causes the ISS to drift through the South Atlantic Anamoly (SAA), which is a region of the Earth's magnetic field in the south Atlantic somewhere off the coast of Brazil where the trapped particles (typically called the Van Allen Belt radiation) in the Earth's magnetic field come down much further. The short period spent in the SAA accounts for a large fraction of the radiation dose received by an astronaut on the ISS.

The only radiation shielding used on the ISS or the Shuttle is bulk material shielding. There is no active shielding deployed currently. In fact, when you start looking at the specifics of active radiation shielding for space flight, most of it is bad science usually coupled with impossible engineering. You can read through this paper: "ieeexplore.ieee.org/iel5/10432/33126/01559364.pdf"[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
NobodySpecial said:
The Earth's field reverses every million years or so - during which time the field at large bits of the surface must be close to zero for long periods of time. Life seems to have survived so far

I have no evidence, but my opinion is that when the Earth's magnetic field reverses, that the "zero" field does not exist or, if so, for a very short time; seconds or minutes.
Again, I have no evidence.

pallidin said:
I have no evidence, but my opinion is that when the Earth's magnetic field reverses, that the "zero" field does not exist or, if so, for a very short time; seconds or minutes.
Fortunately we do have evidence and it takes 10,000s years for the poles to reverse during which the field drops to very low levels

dysond said:
Hi I have two questions.

Perhaps life 'as we know it today' would have impacted to a degree, without a magnetosphere. (i.e.) one would have to wonder about the stability of highly complex DNA (over time) and the state of a delicate atmosphere. A steady dose of highly charged particles, cyclical CMEs, etc. - could have altered the evolution of complex DNA.

PEMF - Astronauts working in space today are relatively safe, w.r.t. solar wind pressure / high energy radiation - considering the periods spent in space -today. A trip to Mars and beyond may present different challenges.

If such a vessel had a PEMF, capable of clear deflection of solar-wind pressure, I'd be curious to know design/integration of the its power source, method for generating the EMF, and how long it could be sustained.

1. What is Earth's magnetic field?

Earth's magnetic field is a layer of magnetic force surrounding the planet that acts like a protective shield against the harmful solar winds and cosmic radiation from space. It is generated by the Earth's core and extends into space, creating the magnetosphere.

2. How does Earth's magnetic field affect life on Earth?

Earth's magnetic field plays a crucial role in protecting life on the planet. It deflects most of the harmful solar winds and cosmic radiation that would otherwise reach the surface of the Earth. It also helps in the navigation of animals, such as birds and sea turtles, who use the magnetic field for their migratory journeys.

3. What are solar winds and how do they interact with Earth's magnetic field?

Solar winds are streams of charged particles, primarily protons and electrons, that are constantly emitted from the Sun. When these particles reach Earth, they interact with the magnetic field, causing the formation of auroras and occasionally disrupting communication and navigation systems. However, the Earth's magnetic field mostly protects us from the harmful effects of solar winds.

4. How does Earth's magnetic field affect astronauts in space?

Astronauts in space are exposed to higher levels of cosmic radiation due to the absence of Earth's protective atmosphere. However, most spacecraft are equipped with special shielding to protect astronauts from these harmful particles. Additionally, astronauts on the International Space Station are also protected by Earth's magnetic field, as the station is within the magnetosphere.

5. Can Earth's magnetic field change or weaken over time?

Yes, Earth's magnetic field is not constant and has been changing and flipping over time. The magnetic poles have been known to shift and even reverse, where the magnetic north becomes the south and vice versa. However, these changes happen over thousands of years and do not have a significant impact on life on Earth.