What equations can I use to find missing values in a 3D vector problem?

In summary, the conversation is about a person struggling with a 3D vector problem, specifically finding the magnitudes of F and Fy when given Fx, Fz, and beta. They have looked at equations in both their statics and physics book, but cannot seem to find a solution. They are asking for hints and clarification on the variables alpha, beta, and gamma. The conversation ends with the person realizing their mistake and solving the problem.
DaVinci
Im stuck on a 3d vector problem. I know Fx and Fz and angle Beta. I've looked at all the equations in the book (both my statics and physics book) and just cannot seem to put the given data together in a manner to give me another value. If I can just get either Fy or one of the other angles, I can work the rest out.

Can someone give me a hint as to what to use to find Fy, alpha, gamma, or F when given Fx, Fz, and beta?

For your own reference, the problem is:

The pole is subjected to the force F which has components Fx = 1.5kN and Fz = 1.25kN. If Beta = 75 degrees, determine the magnitudes of F and Fy.

If I can get one more value, I can use the direction cosines and get the other angles. If I knew F, I could determine Fy. I just can't get another value.

Any hints would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
what is beta? what is alpha? what is gamma? how do you define it?

just let you know, we don't have the same textbook you have, and don't go to class with you. if you don't tell us more specific how do you define your variable, no one could answer you...

Oh, I thought is was convention that alpha is the angle between the x-axis and the vector, beta is the angle between the y-axis and the vector, and gamma is the angle between the z-axis and the vector.

So much for standardization amongst science. :rofl:

Will remember that for the future.

Last edited:
Few hours later and this one is still driving me nuts.

I tried to take the F vector projections on each plane and came up with 3 equations there and used the cosine^2alpha + cos^2beta + cos^2gamma = 1 equation and solve but the numbers don't come out right.

And after those few hours it comes down to a stupid arithmitic mistake...

--slap forhead--

Got it soved.

What is force?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the interaction between two objects. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

How is force measured?

Force is measured using a unit called Newtons (N). One Newton is equal to the force required to accelerate a mass of one kilogram at a rate of one meter per second squared.

What is the difference between weight and force?

Weight is a force that is caused by the gravitational pull of a planet on an object, while force is a generic term that describes any type of interaction between two objects.

What is the relationship between force and motion?

According to Newton's first law of motion, an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. In other words, force is required to change the state of motion of an object.

How can force and angles be used to calculate net force?

To calculate net force, we must first determine the individual forces acting on an object and their respective angles. We can then use trigonometric functions, such as sine and cosine, to find the horizontal and vertical components of each force. The net force is then calculated by adding all of these individual components together.