Proving the Relationship Between Perfect Numbers and Harmonic Mean

In summary, the conversation discusses the harmonic mean of divisors of a positive integer n, and how to show that if n is a perfect number, then the harmonic mean must be an integer. It is mentioned that the sum of reciprocals of divisors of a perfect number is always equal to 2, or 1 if the number itself is not included as a divisor. The need to prove that the number of divisors of a perfect number is even is also mentioned, with examples given for even and odd perfect numbers. Euler's result is then brought up as a solution.
AlexHall
Hi

I have the harmonic mean H(n) of the divisors of a positive integer n. I need to show that if n is perfect number, then H(n) must be an integer.

1/H(n)={1/τ(n)}Σ(1/d)

I have found that

H(n)=nτ(n)/σ(n)
H(n)=τ(n)/2

How can I conclude that this is an integer?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
The sum of reciprocals of divisors of a perfect number is always equal to 2 if the number itself is considered as a divisor. If, in your problem it is not, then we have that the sum of reciprocals of proper divisors is equal to 1 and the result is trivial.

If it is the case that the standard divisor function is considered, one needs to show that the number of divisors of a perfect number (including itself) is even, which I haven't been able to prove yet.

yasiru89 said:
If it is the case that the standard divisor function is considered, one needs to show that the number of divisors of a perfect number (including itself) is even, which I haven't been able to prove yet.

An even perfect number is of the form 2^(p-1) * (2^p - 1) where 2^p - 1 is prime, so it has 2p divisors.

An odd perfect number is of the form p^(4a+1) * n^2 with gcd(p, n) = 1, so it has an even number of divisors (in fact, the number of divisors is divisible by 2 and not by 4).

Oh yeah, Euler's result. There we are then.

1. What is a harmonic function?

A harmonic function is a function that satisfies the Laplace equation, which is a partial differential equation that describes the distribution of potential in a region with no sources or sinks. In simpler terms, it is a function that is smooth and has no extreme values.

2. What is the importance of harmonic functions in science?

Harmonic functions are important in many scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are used to model physical phenomena, such as temperature distribution, electric potential, and sound waves. They also have applications in signal processing, image processing, and data analysis.

3. How are harmonic functions related to complex numbers?

Harmonic functions can be expressed as the real or imaginary part of a complex function. This is because the Laplace equation can be rewritten in terms of the complex variable z, and the real and imaginary parts of the resulting equation satisfy the Laplace equation. This connection to complex numbers allows for the use of powerful mathematical tools in the study of harmonic functions.

4. Can harmonic functions have singularities?

No, harmonic functions cannot have singularities within the region where they are defined. This is a consequence of the maximum principle, which states that the maximum and minimum values of a harmonic function occur on the boundary of its domain. Therefore, if a singularity were present, it would contradict this principle.

5. How are harmonic functions different from other types of functions?

Harmonic functions are different from other types of functions in several ways. They are infinitely differentiable, meaning they are smooth and have no sudden changes in value. They also satisfy the mean value property, which states that the value of a harmonic function at a point is equal to the average of its values on any circle centered at that point. Additionally, harmonic functions have many unique properties, such as being closed under addition and multiplication by constants, which make them useful in a variety of applications.