Nodal Analysis with power supplied to capacitor

In summary: After answering this question, what do you get for a simplified circuit? In summary, the homework statement is trying to determine the current and voltage in a circuit with three nodes, including a load and a capacitor. I attempted to treat the load plus the capacitor as one node, but my results are not correct.
eatamon

Homework Statement

Following circuit has v=30v, r1=20ohm,r2=10ohm,r3=15ohm. A)Determine inductor current (I) and capacitor voltage (Vc). B)Determine power supplied by source before switch is open.

Homework Equations

KCL
P=VI

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to treat the load plus the capacitor as one node (v3=vc). From there I took V1 to be 30v. I set up two KCL equations and solved for V2 and v3. I got Vc=7.5 v and I=1.5 A. Then for part b, I used P=VI and got 11.25 watts. I just wanted to know of this answer is correct or not. Thanks

Attachments

• q4.doc
    243 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Added more details

No, your results are not correct. Not sure what "I attempted to treat the load plus the capacitor as one node" means.

lewando said:
No, your results are not correct. Not sure what "I attempted to treat the load plus the capacitor as one node" means.

I assumed that there was no load resistance so the voltage remained the same throughout it.

Everything on the RHS of the switch is the "load resistance". Do you recall what a capacitor looks like at steady-state with a DC voltage applied? How about an inductor at steady-state with a DC current going through it?

Vc=30v right? how would I find the inductor current?

Not right. What method or equations did you use to arrive at that wrong answer.

lewando said:
Not right. What method or equations did you use to arrive at that wrong answer.

Ive been using several techniques and I don't think any are right. Would finding Req to find the total current be helpful? then use current divider rule to find IL? Can someone please tell me the approach to solve this, it would be very appreciated.

It is easier for us to help if you communicate the specifics of the work that you are doing, otherwise it’s hard to know where exactly your thought process is breaking down.

Maybe you missed my question regarding how you are treating capacitors and inductors under steady-state DC conditions. This question still stands. Hint: one of them will have zero current flowing through it and will look like an open circuit (infinite resistance). The other will have zero voltage across it and will look like a short circuit (zero resistance). Applying this knowledge to your circuit simplifies it into a purely resistive network which you can analyze using standard methods. Another hint: VC will be the same as VR2 and IL will be the same as IR3. After answering this question, what do you get for a simplified circuit?

You could find Req and use the current divider rule to find IL if you like (if you go down this path, please show your steps and intermediate results), but there is another more direct way to get the answer.

1. What is nodal analysis with power supplied to capacitor?

Nodal analysis with power supplied to capacitor is a method used in circuit analysis to determine the voltage at each node in a circuit where a capacitor is present and is being supplied with power. It involves using Kirchhoff's Current Law and the capacitor equation to solve for the unknown voltages.

2. How is nodal analysis with power supplied to capacitor different from regular nodal analysis?

In regular nodal analysis, the power supply is not taken into account and the circuit is assumed to be in steady state. However, in nodal analysis with power supplied to capacitor, the power supply must be included in the equations and the circuit is not necessarily in steady state.

3. What is the significance of the power supplied to capacitor in nodal analysis?

The power supplied to capacitor affects the overall voltage distribution in the circuit and must be considered in the nodal analysis equations. A higher power supply to the capacitor will result in a higher voltage across it, while a lower power supply will result in a lower voltage across it.

4. Can nodal analysis with power supplied to capacitor be used for both DC and AC circuits?

Yes, nodal analysis with power supplied to capacitor can be used for both DC and AC circuits. In DC circuits, the power supply is a constant value, while in AC circuits it may be a sinusoidal or time-varying value. However, the equations and principles used in nodal analysis remain the same.

5. What are the limitations of nodal analysis with power supplied to capacitor?

Nodal analysis with power supplied to capacitor assumes that the capacitors are ideal and do not have any resistance or leakage. In real circuits, these factors may affect the accuracy of the results obtained from nodal analysis. Additionally, this method can become complex and time-consuming in larger circuits with multiple capacitors and power supplies.