Find the power supplied by the 1V source in the circuit using nodal analysis

In summary, at node 1, using the equation for I1, V1 = -38V. At node 2, I1 + I2 = I2. At node 3, 6 = I3 + I4.
Electgineer
Homework Statement
Nodal analysis
Relevant Equations
I in = I out
My attempt:

At node 1 > 4 = 6 + I1
Node 2 > I1 + I2 = I 2
Node 3 > 6 = I 3 + I 4

I1 = (V1 - 4)/21

In node 1,
Using the equation for I1, V1 = -38V.

I2 = (V1 - 4 - 1)/2
So, I2 = -21.5APower supplied by the 1V battery is
P=VI
P=-21.5 x 1
P=-21.5W
I am not sure of my method, I just started with Circuit analysis class.
Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20190427_004213.jpg
    IMG_20190427_004213.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_20190427_004229.jpg
    IMG_20190427_004229.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 215
Physics news on Phys.org
Edited (and repaired) for clarity:
Electgineer said:
Node 1 > 4 = 6 + I1
Node 2 > I1 + I3 = I2
Node 3 > 6 = I3 + I4
There is another node to consider.

This is a problem:
I2 = (V1 - 4 - 1)/2
It implies that V2 = V1 - 4 (which you indicated in red in one of your attachments) which is not correct.

Is there a way to approach a question like this, I really have problems with voltage source in between nodes.

For a voltage across two nodes you have to consider all elements and their voltage change contributions. In your case, you have not included the voltages across the 14 and 7 ohm resistors, as a function of I1.

One other important thing-- when you indicate a node voltage: V1, V2, or V3, you need to establish a reference point for that particular voltage. Commonly, a 0 V reference point or "ground" reference is identified for the circuit. You don't show one on your circuit.

Likes SammyS
Electgineer said:
Is there a way to approach a question like this, I really have problems with voltage source in between nodes.
When there is a voltage source along with other components (such as resistors) in a branch between two nodes, as is the case in the following excerpt from your circuit,

then you can consider that the source raises or lowers the effective potential of one of the nodes depending upon the source orientation. So in the above scenario if we want to write an expression for ##i_1## for node ##V_1## we can write:

##i_1 = \frac{V_1 - (V_2 + 4)}{14 + 7}##

or

##i_1 = \frac{(V_1 - 4) - V_2}{14 + 7}##

gneill said:
When there is a voltage source along with other components (such as resistors) in a branch between two nodes, as is the case in the following excerpt from your circuit,
View attachment 242541
then you can consider that the source raises or lowers the effective potential of one of the nodes depending upon the source orientation. So in the above scenario if we want to write an expression for ##i_1## for node ##V_1## we can write:

##i_1 = \frac{V_1 - (V_2 + 4)}{14 + 7}##

or

##i_1 = \frac{(V_1 - 4) - V_2}{14 + 7}##
Thank you, I get it now!

Electgineer said:
Thank you, I get it now!
Fantastic! Cheers.

1. What is nodal analysis?

Nodal analysis is a method used to analyze electrical circuits and determine the voltage at each node, or connection point, in the circuit. It involves applying Kirchhoff's current law and Ohm's law to calculate the voltage at each node.

2. How is nodal analysis used to find the power supplied by a 1V source?

By using nodal analysis, we can determine the voltage at each node in the circuit, including the node connected to the 1V source. The power supplied by the source can then be calculated by multiplying the voltage at that node by the current flowing through the source.

3. What is the benefit of using nodal analysis to find power supplied by a 1V source?

Nodal analysis allows for a systematic and precise calculation of the power supplied by a 1V source in a circuit. It takes into account the voltage and current at each node, providing a more accurate result compared to other methods.

4. Can nodal analysis be used for any type of circuit?

Nodal analysis can be used for linear circuits, where the components follow Ohm's law and the circuit is not too complex. It is not suitable for circuits with non-linear components, such as diodes or transistors.

5. Are there any limitations to nodal analysis?

While nodal analysis is a powerful tool for analyzing circuits, it does have some limitations. It can become complex and time-consuming for circuits with a large number of nodes, and it may not provide accurate results for circuits with non-linear components. Additionally, it assumes that the circuit is in steady-state, meaning that all voltages and currents are constant.