Been working on this for hours

• Thread starter chattkis3
  • Start date
In summary, After working on the problem for over 3 hours, the person is trying to find the radius of a spherical cavity inside an irregularly shaped chunk of concrete. They have set up an equation using the density of concrete, but are getting a negative number and are unsure of their calculations. They are advised to check their calculations and consider using a different precision for their answer.
chattkis3
Been working on this for hours!

Ive honestly given this problem 3 or more hours to no avail.

"An irregularly shaped chunk of concrete has a hollow spherical cavity inside. The mass of the chunk is 38 kg, and the volume enclosed by the outside surface of the chunk is 0.025 m3. What is the radius of the spherical cavity?"

This is what I have set up which is not working:
density of concrete = M / (Voutside surface - Vcavity)

what's wrong with that?? thankkks!

Physics news on Phys.org
shouldn't it be?

[tex] \rho_{concrete} = \frac{M}{V_{outside}-V_{cavity}} [/tex]

Last edited:
What makes you think it's wrong?

Im getting a negative number if I do M / (Voutside + Vsphere) ... and the value I get (using a density for concrete of 2200) is .12m And the computer program is telling me that is wrong. I feel like I am missing something??

I get a different answer. Check you calculations. Remember that
[tex]V_{sphere}=\frac{4\pi r^{3}}{3}[/tex]

I don't think you're missing anything. Your original method is correct; your answer seems correct also.

Sirus, did you use my original equation with Voutside - Vcavity or Voutside + Vcavity

??

Ah, that's why! Yes, I used Cyclovenom's equation with a plus sign, which I think is incorrect. I think Doc Al is right. Try entering the answer with various precisions (round to a different number of decimals) and see if the program accepts your answer.

WOW, thanks for that. Let's just say I want a couple hours of my life back. The program is not suppose to be set up to worry about sig figs. But apparently my professor changed that option? **annoyed** thanks for the advice though everyone.

Oh sorry, actually it was suppossed to be a minus, the question on the top was just because i was :confused: because it wasn't working.

What does "Been working on this for hours" mean?

It means that the person has been putting a lot of effort and time into a task or project for several hours.

Why would someone say "Been working on this for hours"?

They might say it to indicate that they have been diligently working on something for a long period of time, or to express frustration or exhaustion from working on the task for a long time.

What is the common context for saying "Been working on this for hours"?

This phrase is often used in a work or academic setting, where someone is trying to complete a task or project within a deadline.

Does "Been working on this for hours" always mean literal hours?

No, it can also be used as an exaggeration to convey that the person has been working on something for a long time, even if it is not exactly hours.

How can someone respond to "Been working on this for hours"?

They can offer words of encouragement or support, ask if the person needs any help, or simply acknowledge their hard work and dedication.