Developing Pump Performance Curves

In summary, the individual is developing pump performance curves for pulp slurries and is using a closed-loop Lab-Scale pipeline facility. They are seeking guidance on how to measure head vs. flow rate at constant RPMs. They have successfully done so for pure water, but are struggling with slurry due to the inability to discharge it. They have seen others do it in papers and are seeking assistance in how to gradually increase/decrease the flow rate while keeping the pump RPM constant. A suggestion is to use a bigger pump and apply the pump scaling laws to translate the results.
discreet544
Hi Folks;

I am developing a series of pump performance curves for pulp slurries. I am running a closed-loop Lab-Scale pipeline facility. My question is about measuring head vs. flow rate at constant RPMs. I did it for pure water by continuously feeding the system with water, and gradually opening the discharge valve of the loop, while the RPM was kept constant, to record data for various flow rates. However, I can not do it for slurry, as I can't discharge it.

I see people have done it in papers, but I do not know how. I would really appreciate if you could help me. So here I rewrite the question:

On a closed-loop pipeline, how can I gradually increase/decrease the flow rate, while keeping the pump RPM constant ?

Thanks;

Engineering news on Phys.org
Use a bigger pump and translate your results with the pump scaling laws?

What is a pump performance curve?

A pump performance curve is a graphical representation of a pump's performance under different operating conditions. It plots the relationship between flow rate, head (pressure), and power consumption for a specific pump model. It is typically used to determine the most efficient operating point for a pump and to compare different pump models.

How is a pump performance curve created?

A pump performance curve is created by conducting a series of tests on the pump under different operating conditions. The flow rate, head, and power consumption are measured and plotted on a graph. The resulting curve is then used to determine the pump's efficiency, maximum flow rate, and optimal operating point.

Why is it important to develop pump performance curves?

Developing pump performance curves is important because it allows engineers to select the most efficient pump for a specific application. It also helps in determining the optimal operating point for a pump, which can result in energy and cost savings. Additionally, pump performance curves can be used to assess the health of a pump and identify any potential issues.

What factors affect a pump's performance curve?

Several factors can affect a pump's performance curve, including the type and size of the pump, the fluid being pumped, the speed of the pump, and the system's operating conditions. Changes in any of these factors can result in a shift in the pump's performance curve, making it essential to regularly update and monitor the curve.

How can pump performance curves be used to troubleshoot pump issues?

Pump performance curves can be used to troubleshoot pump issues by comparing the current performance of the pump to its original performance curve. If there are any discrepancies, it can indicate a problem with the pump, such as wear and tear or a clogged impeller. This information can help in diagnosing and resolving pump issues quickly and efficiently.