Seeking FEA Help with Final Year Project

In summary: Ireland who is working on reducing solidification cracks in a NI-Super alloy weldment. He believes that performing a FEA of the welding process could help him understand the stresses and strains that occur during solidification, but he is unsure of where to start. Other forum members suggest consulting with a metallurgist about the crater cracking and considering preheat temperatures, interpass temperature, carbon content, and weld joint geometry. They also mention that welding a brittle alloy can be challenging.
Dixie14
Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum so please be gentle with me.

I am a final year mechanical engineering student in Ireland and i am doing my final year project on reduceing solidification cracks that are occurring in a weldment of a NI-Super alloy during the welding process. I believe that a FEA of the process that would show me the stresses/strains that are occurring as the weld pool solidifies would be of great benefit to me but i don't know where to start. I've done a bit of FEA work before but never on thermal analysis. Does anyone know of any online tutorial that might help me or if ye could maybe steer me in an appropriate direction id really appreciate it.

Engineering news on Phys.org

FEA would not be good for this. The weld pool is cooling very fast and going thru a phase change with the metallurgical properties are constantly changing. You should consult with a metallurgist about the crater cracking that is occurring. Have you considered the preheat temperatures and the interpass temperature yet? Also, how high is the carbon content? Welding of a brittle allow is very tough. Also, is the weld joint geometry and weld prep correct?

Thanks
Matt

1. What is FEA?

FEA stands for Finite Element Analysis. It is a computerized method used to analyze and solve problems in engineering and physics. It involves breaking down a complicated structure into smaller, simpler elements, and then analyzing them to determine how they will behave under certain conditions.

2. Why do I need FEA for my final year project?

FEA is a powerful tool that can help you analyze and understand the behavior of your project prototype before it is built. This can save time and resources, as any potential issues can be identified and addressed early on in the design process.

3. How can I find help with FEA for my final year project?

There are several options for seeking FEA help for your final year project. You can reach out to your university's engineering department or seek assistance from a professional FEA consultant. There are also many online resources, such as forums and tutorials, that can provide guidance and support.

4. What are the common challenges when using FEA for a final year project?

Some common challenges when using FEA for a final year project include choosing the appropriate software and understanding how to properly input and analyze data. It can also be challenging to interpret and validate the results, as FEA is a complex process that requires knowledge and experience.

5. Is it necessary to have a background in FEA to use it for my final year project?

Having a background in FEA can certainly be helpful, but it is not necessary. Many universities and software companies offer training and support for those who are new to FEA. It may require some time and effort to learn, but with dedication and practice, FEA can be successfully utilized for a final year project.