You can freeze water by heating it? apparently

In summary: AZING right? In summary, when you put pressure on water it melts and when you reduce pressure it freezes.
wickedsingh
Well i am doing my physics investigation about temperature, and need an interesting effect that takes place at a precise temperature. I remember watching this thing ages ago on discovery. It was about mining and they needed large quantities of ice. So instead of making it by the normal process they did it another way.

There was this huge machine that looked like a mixer. I think it was under high pressure aswell, or it might be low pressure, and they said the ice was made by heating water and doing something to it. As you can see i recall very little. I think it was called the double point of water or something similar.

Does anyone know about this? Please help

Science news on Phys.org
heating the water to distill it and make it more pure so it has a lower freezing temp?

if you compress water enough, will the molecular structure break and reform as a very thick ice?

wickedsingh said:
Well i am doing my physics investigation about temperature, and need an interesting effect that takes place at a precise temperature. I remember watching this thing ages ago on discovery. It was about mining and they needed large quantities of ice. So instead of making it by the normal process they did it another way.

There was this huge machine that looked like a mixer. I think it was under high pressure aswell, or it might be low pressure, and they said the ice was made by heating water and doing something to it. As you can see i recall very little. I think it was called the double point of water or something similar.
When you put greater pressure on ice (as in skating) it melts. That is very important in skating and curling, for example - and in driving on snow near 0 deg. C.

Conversely, when you reduce pressure on water at 0 degrees, it freezes more rapidly. If you can't get the temperature of water down below freezing, just reduce the pressure enough and it will turn to ice. When you reapply normal pressure, it will start to melt but the latent heat of water means that it will not melt immediately.

AM

FAQ: You can freeze water by heating it? apparently

1. How is it possible to freeze water by heating it?

It may seem counterintuitive, but it is possible to freeze water by heating it under certain conditions. This phenomenon is known as the Mpemba effect and it occurs when the water is heated rapidly at the beginning and then cooled slowly afterwards.

2. What causes water to freeze when heated?

The exact cause of the Mpemba effect is still not fully understood, but it is believed to be due to a combination of factors such as evaporation, convection, and supersaturation of dissolved gases in the water.

3. Can any type of water be frozen by heating it?

The Mpemba effect has been observed in various types of water, including tap water, distilled water, and saltwater. However, the conditions for it to occur may vary depending on the type of water and its impurities.

4. Is it safe to consume water that has been frozen by heating it?

Yes, it is safe to consume water that has been frozen by heating it. The Mpemba effect does not change the chemical composition of water, so it is still safe to drink. However, it is important to make sure that the water is heated and cooled properly to avoid any potential contamination.

5. Are there any practical applications for freezing water by heating it?

The Mpemba effect has potential applications in various industries, such as food and beverage production, where rapid cooling is necessary. It can also be used in the production of ice cream and frozen desserts, as well as in cryopreservation techniques for preserving biological samples.