What is the name of this Heat Engine?

In summary, there is a heat engine made of two different types of metal straps connected together in a circle shape and placed in a cup of hot or cold water. The temperature of the water causes one metal strap to expand more than the other, resulting in the circle rotating on rollers. This engine was seen in a college class 45 years ago, but the name has been forgotten. It is a type of bimetal heat engine and can be found through a Google search or by searching the US Patent Office. A picture is available and it is named after the inventor. It works similar to other heat engines that use a temperature differential for the metal loop.
gary350
We all know how a thermostat works 2 different type of metal are attach together, when temperature changes 1 metal strap expands more than the other strap causing the straight metal strap to bend.

45 years ago when I was in college the professor brought a desk top heat engine to class. He told us the name of this heat engine and I wrote it down. In the past 45 years I have lost that information. It was not called a sterling engine but it might be a type of sterling engine.

Here is how the engine is build and how it works.

2 different types of thin flat metal straps are made into a donut round circle shape about 3" diameter and connected together. The 3" round double strap is on rollers so it is free to rotate on rollers. I don't remember the details of the rollers, I think there were 3 rollers on the inside and 2 on the outside near the top. The 3" metal ring sets in a cup of cold or hot water when you give the ring a spin it keeps on rotating around the rollers as long as it continues to stay in the water. 1 roller is near the water surface left side of the cup while part of the 3" round ring is in the water. Water temperature makes the strap bend so the metal ring continuously pushes away from the roller and keeps rotating as long as the metal strap stays in the water. As the strap rotates near the top its temperature returns room air temperature the strap returns to its original shape near the top. If water is made colder the strap spins faster. I don't remember if it will rotate the other direction if put in hot water, teacher did not bring hot water, I don't recall he mentioned if the ring rotates the other direction in hot water.

If I knew the name of this device I could do Google search and read about it. I might even be able to find a desk top model for sale.

Does anyone know that this engine is called?

I might be able to draw a picture with paint brush and post if here if anyone would like to see a picture. Is it possible to upload photos here or do they have to be posted some place different then linked here?

Science news on Phys.org
gary350 said:
Is it possible to upload photos here or do they have to be posted some place different then linked here?

I think a picture would be very helpful. Use the UPLOAD button, then after the upload click on full image.
slask.png

Attachments

• slask.png
    slask.png
    9.2 KB · Views: 618
I don't know a specific name, but googling "thermodynamic engine bimetallic" brings up some interesting hits, although nothing that appears to be what you are describing.

BreakingNews7.jpg

Water level has to be almost to roller 1. The whole assembly might need to be rotated counter clock wise a little bit. Once you get it adjusted correctly in water the bi metal rings spins at a fairly fast speed. It appeared to me like the ring was spinning about 3 turns per second.

Give the bi metal ring a spin the red color ring has to contract more then the green color ring so the bi metal ring develops an inward bow towards the roller this puts pressure on roller 1 forcing the bi metal ring to rotate. Like all sterling engines you need to give the bi metal ring a spin to get it started. Colder the water is the faster the ring spins.

Attachments

• BreakingNews7.jpg
    BreakingNews7.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 560
Last edited:
Another place to search is the U. S. Patent office, I think it is classified as a bimetal heat engine...

coolul007 said:
Another place to search is the U. S. Patent office, I think it is classified as a bimetal heat engine...

I think it is named after the inventor.

gary350 said:
I think it is named after the inventor.
And his name is...?

This isn't it, but does work on a temperature differential for the metal loop.
It uses Nitinol, memory shape wire, and one end has to be heated.
the bi-metal engine should work under a similar fashion.
https://www.imagesco.com/articles/nitinol/09.html

1. What is a heat engine?

A heat engine is a device that converts heat energy into mechanical energy, typically through the use of a working substance such as gas, liquid, or steam.

2. How does a heat engine work?

A heat engine works by taking in heat energy from a hot source, using it to do work, and then releasing the remaining heat to a colder reservoir. This process is known as the Carnot cycle and is used in many types of heat engines.

3. What are the different types of heat engines?

There are several types of heat engines, including steam engines, internal combustion engines, and Stirling engines. Each type uses a different method to convert heat energy into mechanical energy.

4. What is the name of the most efficient heat engine?

The most efficient heat engine is the Carnot heat engine, which is a theoretical model that operates at the maximum possible efficiency based on the temperature difference between the hot and cold reservoirs.

5. How are heat engines used in everyday life?

Heat engines are used in a variety of applications in everyday life, including powering cars, generating electricity in power plants, and heating and cooling systems. They play a crucial role in many industries and are essential for modern society.