Math Diversities: 4 Solutions to 10X=4X

• Thread starter alionalizoti
  • Start date
Integrating or differentiating a conditional equation does not necessarily yield an equivalent conditional equation. In summary, the only reasonable solution to 10X = 4X is X = 0. The other options indicate a lack of understanding of basic mathematics.
alionalizoti
I'm interested to find out how many people would agree on several quick solutions:

10X = 4X

1) X = 0

2) 10 = 4 (!?)

3) 10 = 4 (differentiating !?)

4) or integrating ... (1?)

Physics news on Phys.org
Huh ?

I agree that 1) is a solution to 10x = 4x, but as for the rest I have no idea what you are talking about.

alionalizoti said:
I'm interested to find out how many people would agree on several quick solutions:

10X = 4X

1) X = 0

2) 10 = 4 (!?)

3) 10 = 4 (differentiating !?)

4) or integrating ... (1?)

The only reasonable choice is answer 1.

The other choices indicate a lack of knowledge in fairly basic mathematics.
Choice 2 is not reasonable because it results in a contradiction. In this case, dividing by x is dividing by zero.
Choice 3 is not reasonable because the equation you start with is a conditional equation (i.e., true only for a specific value or values), not one that is identically true.
Choice 4 is not reasonable for the same reason.

Last edited:

FAQ: Math Diversities: 4 Solutions to 10X=4X

What is the equation "10X=4X" representing?

The equation "10X=4X" is representing a mathematical problem where the variable X is being multiplied by 10 on one side of the equation and by 4 on the other side. The goal is to solve for the value of X that makes the equation true.

What are the 4 solutions to the equation "10X=4X"?

The 4 solutions to the equation "10X=4X" are: X = 0, X = 1, X = -1, and X = infinity. These solutions can be found by dividing both sides of the equation by 10 and simplifying.

What is the significance of having multiple solutions to an equation?

Having multiple solutions to an equation means that there is more than one value for the variable that can make the equation true. This can happen when there are multiple operations being performed on the variable, as in the case of the equation "10X=4X". It is important to check all solutions to make sure they are valid in the context of the problem being solved.

How can the concept of "diversities" be applied to math?

In math, "diversities" can refer to the different ways in which a problem can be solved. For example, in the equation "10X=4X", there are multiple solutions that can be found using different methods such as algebraic manipulation or graphing. Embracing these diversities can lead to a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts and improve problem-solving skills.

What are some real-life applications of the equation "10X=4X" and its solutions?

The equation "10X=4X" and its solutions have many real-life applications, such as calculating ratios, percentages, and proportions. For example, if you have 4 boys and 10 girls in a class, the ratio of boys to girls would be 4:10, which can be simplified to 2:5 or 0.4. The solutions to this equation can also be used in finance, science, and engineering to solve various problems involving quantities and proportions.

Back