Silence Gun: Strange weapon of the future

In summary, this gun is designed to mess with people's heads and make it difficult to communicate. It is not harmful, but it is confusing and strange.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I wonder if this is for real? I can see it being a popular item for married couples, and teachers.

The gun operates based on the concept of delayed auditory feedback. An attached microphone picks up the sound being made by the target and plays it back 0.2 seconds later. The effect is incredibly confusing to the human brain, making it all but impossible to talk or hold a conversation. The device doesn't cause the person it's being used on any physical harm — it simply messes with their head.

When the human brain hears its own speech perfectly in sync during normal speech, it easily processes the input and allows you to largely ignore the sound of your own voice. However, by offsetting the response just a bit, the brain hears your mouth speaking as well as the strange echo effect produced by the gun. This unusual combination is confusing enough to effectively shut down the part of your brain responsible for managing speech, and you fall immediately silent.
continued...

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technology-blog/weird-gun-future-attacks-words-not-people-193050045.html

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't remember details, but delayed sound played through headphones is used in stuttering therapy - it is called delayed auditory feedback. It forces speaker to slow down. Perhaps it is all in the correct selection of delay, from what I remember correct delay is a personal thing has to be set up experimentally.

Checked: according to wikipedia delays used are up to 200 ms - or 0.2 sec. So the device doesn't sound reliable to me (unless slowing someone down is already considered a success).

Evo said:
I wonder if this is for real?
The gun operates based on the concept of delayed auditory feedback. An attached microphone picks up the sound being made by the target and plays it back 0.2 seconds later. The effect is incredibly confusing to the human brain, making it all but impossible to talk or hold a conversation. The device doesn't cause the person it's being used on any physical harm — it simply messes with their head.

The underlying concept is certainly correct. My cellphone does this to me far too often. It echos on occasion. Sometimes the echo is intermittent and highly distorted. I've learned to continue on with the conversation despite these occasional interuptions. Other times, the echo is very persistent and very clear. This is so utterly confusing that I have to hang up and call again.

Radio talk show hosts have always had a problem with this affecting listeners calling in.

"Please turn down your radio"

Ivan Seeking said:
Radio talk show hosts have always had a problem with this affecting listeners calling in.

"Please turn down your radio"

:rofl:

Audio companies have been researching speakerless sound systems for years. Instead of speakers you can use tiny transducers working at frequencies the human ear can't hear. Aim two transducers at a target like a chair and mix their signals in mid air to produce audiable sound that seems to emerge out of thin air. One college student experimented with a similar effect by projecting his voice from the roof of his dorm into the ear of passing coeds. They'd look around, see nobody was there, and take off running.

Think of the possibilities though! Movie theaters which automatically silence the jerk sitting behind you without anyone else ever noticing. Its also possible to use the transducers to turn windows and walls into speakers to project sound right where you want it.

http://www.wheels.ca/article/asset/794812

Last edited:
I would like to try this thing out.

The science center where I live has a sound canceling room. It's basically a room that records and then plays back an interference pattern from various mics and speakers all over the room. The result, you can talk in the room, but nothing comes out! It's a really strange feeling, pure silence. Nothing like what you get with those "noise canceling" headphones.

1. What is a Silence Gun?

A Silence Gun is a hypothetical weapon of the future that uses sound waves to create an area of silence. It is designed to incapacitate targets without causing any physical harm.

2. How does a Silence Gun work?

A Silence Gun emits a focused beam of sound waves at a specific frequency that disrupts the auditory nerve and causes temporary deafness. This prevents the target from hearing any outside noises, making it difficult to communicate or react to their surroundings.

3. Is a Silence Gun safe to use?

Yes, a Silence Gun is designed to be non-lethal and does not cause any permanent damage. However, prolonged exposure to the sound waves can lead to temporary deafness and other side effects such as nausea and dizziness.

4. What are the potential uses of a Silence Gun?

A Silence Gun could have various applications, such as in law enforcement for crowd control or in military operations for disabling enemies without causing fatalities. It could also be used in hostage situations or to protect sensitive areas from unwanted noise.

5. Are there any ethical concerns regarding the use of a Silence Gun?

As with any new technology, there are potential ethical concerns surrounding the use of a Silence Gun. Some may argue that it could be abused or used to violate people's rights, while others may see it as a necessary tool for maintaining peace and order. It is important for thorough consideration and regulations to be in place before the weapon is developed and deployed.