Measure distance of devices via radio?

In summary: Ultra-wideband radar, which can see a range of 10 to 30 meters, is currently under development.In summary, Ultrasonics may be a possible way to measure the distance between two objects, but it would be difficult and require a lot of expertise.
ghubben
Hello,

I've got a question about distance measuring via radio.
I would like to measure the distance between two devices, relatively small ones, using radio and my question is how fine that measurement can be? The devices would be a maximum of say 15 metres apart and a preciseness of about a millimeter is needed. Is that possible with common circuits available?

I'm not an electrical engineer of any sort so please keep it in laymans terms.

Thanks!
//Fredrik

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't think you could expect that sort of accuracy from radio signals.

The problem is that radio signals travel VERY FAST.

The speed of light and radio waves is 300 000 000 meters a second.
So, that is 300 meters a microsecond and 0.3 meters or 300 mm per nanosecond.

And the best logic circuits we have are capable of operating at the nanosecond level.

Even then it would be a very difficult project.

There might be a low tech solution using a video camera above both objects, but the answer to your question is no, unfortunately.

Ultrasonics may be another way. A sound wave travels at about 340 meters a second.
That is about 0.34 millimeters per microsecond.
So, you could send out a radio signal that a sound pulse was on its way and then count the time until the sound pulse got to the second object.
The radio signal would take a negligible time to get there, so quite an accurate reading could be obtained.

Developing something like that would take time and expertise though.

Hi Fredrik,

Sorry, i am not the expert you looking for but just happen to see your posting and like to share some info with you.

What i know is that ultrasonic promixity sensors used by cars and robots can detect objects upto as near as 2cm, as shown in this webpage :

http://www.parallax.com/Store/Sensors/ObjectDetection/tabid/176/ProductID/92/List/1/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName,ProductName

Unfortunately, i do not know how can it detect proximity changes as small a millimeter. Personally, i do not think it can as car sensors are not that sensitive, i suspect.

Lasers night be a possibility. The resolution of radar is limited to the wavelength of the signal.

1. How does measuring distance with radio waves work?

Measuring distance with radio waves involves sending out a radio signal from one device and then receiving that signal on another device. By calculating the time it takes for the signal to travel between the two devices, the distance between them can be determined.

2. What is the accuracy of measuring distance with radio waves?

The accuracy of measuring distance with radio waves depends on various factors such as the strength of the signal, the type of radio wave used, and any interference that may affect the signal. Generally, the accuracy can range from a few meters to several kilometers.

3. What types of devices can be measured using radio waves?

Most electronic devices that can transmit and receive radio signals can be measured using this method. This includes smartphones, GPS devices, and even satellites.

4. How do you account for obstacles when measuring distance with radio waves?

Obstacles such as buildings and other objects can affect the accuracy of measuring distance with radio waves. To account for these obstacles, advanced methods such as triangulation and using multiple signals may be used.

5. Is measuring distance with radio waves safe?

Yes, measuring distance with radio waves is generally considered safe. The radio waves used for this purpose are low frequency and do not have any harmful effects on humans or other devices.