Is AvB Equivalent to Av~~B in Logical Proofs?

In summary, a formal proof is a step-by-step logical argument that uses axioms and rules of inference to demonstrate the truth of a statement. It differs from a regular proof in its rigorous and systematic approach, and is important in science for ensuring logical validity and credibility. The key components of a formal proof include axioms, definitions, previously proven theorems, and a series of logical steps. To improve skills in writing formal proofs, practice and studying different techniques and fallacies can be helpful.
tink
I am trying to prove that AvB (which reads "A or B") is equivalent to Av~~B (which reads "A or not not B"). My steps are wrong... I checked them out on Fitch (the program we use in class to check validity of proofs). I can't write them out in here... I don't have the right symbols ... so maybe somebody can suggest a starting step that will help?

Physics news on Phys.org
NM! I got it all on my own! Wow, I am sooo super proud right now!

First, let's define the logical symbols we will use in this proof:
- A: statement A
- B: statement B
- ~: negation (not)
- v: disjunction (or)
- ~~: double negation (not not)

To prove that AvB is equivalent to Av~~B, we need to show that they have the same truth values in all possible scenarios. This can be done by showing that each statement implies the other.

Starting with AvB, we can use the law of excluded middle to break it down into two cases: either A is true or B is true.

Case 1: A is true
In this case, AvB is automatically true since one of the disjuncts (A) is true.

Case 2: B is true
Similarly, AvB is true since one of the disjuncts (B) is true.

Therefore, we have shown that AvB implies Av~~B in all possible scenarios.

To show the reverse implication, we can use a proof by contradiction. Assume that AvB is false. This means that both A and B are false. Using the double negation law, we can rewrite this as ~~A and ~~B.

Since ~~A is equivalent to A, we can substitute and get A and ~~B. From this, we can apply the law of excluded middle again to get two cases:

Case 1: A is true
This leads to a contradiction since we assumed A to be false.

Case 2: B is true
This also leads to a contradiction since we assumed B to be false.

Therefore, our initial assumption that AvB is false must be incorrect, and thus AvB must be true. This shows that Av~~B implies AvB in all possible scenarios.

Hence, we have shown that AvB and Av~~B are equivalent, and our proof is complete.

1. What is a formal proof?

A formal proof is a step-by-step logical argument that uses a set of axioms and rules of inference to demonstrate the truth of a statement or theorem.

2. How is a formal proof different from a regular proof?

A formal proof is a rigorous, systematic approach to proving a statement that follows a specific set of rules and conventions. It is often used in mathematics and logic, whereas a regular proof may use more informal language and reasoning.

3. Why is a formal proof important in science?

A formal proof ensures that a statement or theorem is logically valid and can be trusted as true. It also allows for replication and verification by other scientists, contributing to the overall credibility and reliability of scientific findings.

4. What are the key components of a formal proof?

A formal proof typically includes a set of axioms, definitions, and previously proven theorems, as well as a series of logical steps using rules of inference to reach a conclusion. It may also include justifications or explanations for each step.

5. How can I improve my skills in writing formal proofs?

Practice is key in improving your skills in writing formal proofs. Start with simpler proofs and work your way up to more complex ones. It's also helpful to study and understand different proof techniques and common logical fallacies to avoid in your proofs.