The Universe Looks Centrifugal

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of the universe expanding at an increasing rate and the possibility of it being caused by a spinning disk with marbles flying away due to centrifugal forces. The speaker wonders if the universe itself is spinning undetected, which could explain the mystery of dark energy. However, the idea is met with skepticism and the conversation ends with the question of whether or not there is an external reference frame for the universe to rotate.
Entropy4121
Hello.

I am just curious if anyone else imagines what I imagine whenever I hear about the universe expanding at an increasing rate. I simply imagine an infinitely large spinning disk littered with marbles. The vantage point from any marble would show all the other marbles flying away faster and faster due to the centrifugal forces of the spinning disk. So, imagining this I start to wonder if the universe itself were spinning, but not its contents. We of course don't see a spin, because (in my imagination) the stars and galaxies are not revolving with the universe. The marbles are not glued down to the disk surface. If they were there wouldn't be an accelerating expansion.

Being that we do not fully understand the true nature of this universe, probably because we will never be outside of it to view it, I can't seem to let go of this idea. If the universe--whether by influence from other universes or by something else entirely--were spinning undetected (that is, stars and galaxies are not spinning with it, thus we have no real way of measuring this), then would this solve the dark energy mystery as it being nothing more than a strange, omnipresent centrifugal force?

Both your thoughts and ridicule are welcome.
:tongue2:

Entropy

Space news on Phys.org
Your theory would gain some ground if we found an empty centre of the universe, away from which all matter was flying.

So far, no joy.

The bigger issue is the assumption something 'outside the universe' exists. I find that argument unsatisfactory. The universe cannot 'rotate' without an external reference frame. So far as I can see, that is a logical impossibility.

What does it mean when we say "The Universe Looks Centrifugal"?

When we say "The Universe Looks Centrifugal", it means that the objects in the universe are moving away from each other due to the expansion of space. This is the basis of the Big Bang theory and is supported by observations of the redshift of distant galaxies.

Is the universe actually expanding?

Yes, the universe is expanding at an accelerating rate. This was first discovered by astronomer Edwin Hubble in the 1920s and has been confirmed by various observations, such as the cosmic microwave background radiation and the distribution of galaxies.

Will the universe continue to expand forever?

It is currently believed that the universe will continue to expand forever, as the amount of dark energy in the universe is thought to be large enough to overcome the gravitational pull of matter. However, this is still a topic of ongoing research and debate in the scientific community.

Are there any other factors that contribute to the expansion of the universe?

In addition to dark energy, the expansion of the universe is also influenced by the distribution and density of matter and radiation. These factors can cause fluctuations in the expansion rate, but overall, the expansion of the universe is dominated by dark energy.

How does the expansion of the universe affect the motion of objects within it?

The expansion of the universe does not directly affect the motion of objects within it, as the expansion is happening on a much larger scale. However, the increasing distance between objects will eventually result in a state of cosmic isolation, where galaxies will no longer be able to interact with each other due to the vast distances between them.