Which photo best captures the theme of bad pictures in this contest?

In summary: The worst one.I think Geo Mike's photo is quite visually captivating it looks like an impressionist painting of a forest scene, worth another look, so unfortunately quite good. I'm sure someone in the art world could make a bundle out of doing this on purpose.

VOTE GROUP 1 - Bad Picture!

• turbo-1

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • larkspur

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • GeoMike

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Integral

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • zoobyshoe

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • scorpa

Votes: 2 5.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
The photos for this contest range from the psychedelic to the disgusting! :)

Please vote for the picture that best reflects our theme for this contest: a bad picture in terms of mistakes in picture taking. You have one vote for each group.

1. turbo-1
http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/33/badcu4.jpg

2. larkspur
http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/5774/badphotoiy3.jpg

3. GeoMike
http://www.mcschell.com/blur.jpg

4. Integral
http://home.comcast.net/~integral50/scenery/Impressionist2.JPG

5. zoobyshoe
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b95/mrzshoe/blurman.jpg

6. scorpa
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/Scorpa/P7020019.jpg

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=134772"

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think it is much harder choosing a bad photo than a good one. Do I go for the bad shot that turned out nice or go for the bad photo that is a bad photo?:confused:

I voted for my own picture. I made almost every error that an astrophotographer could possibly make in that one shot. I kept the print to remind me of that. In astrophotography, you don't learn as much from your successes at you do from your mistakes. Believe me, I developed a pretty comprehensive check-list after a few of those little gems. It's no fun to guide 20-30 minute exposures in cold weather, only to get your prints back and see that kind of stuff.

Last edited:
I went with GeoMike. It actually made my eyes hurt to look at that one!

I think Larkspur's photo has that special nothing.

Ivan Seeking said:
I think Larkspur's photo has that special nothing.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I voted for scorpa (who had no votes), so she wouldn't feel bad about her pic not sucking as much as the others. Keep on trying, sweetie! You'll be a crappy photographer one day - I believe in you.

Math Is Hard said:
I voted for scorpa (who had no votes), so she wouldn't feel bad about her pic not sucking as much as the others. Keep on trying, sweetie! You'll be a crappy photographer one day - I believe in you.
Stinky cat, stinky cat, what do they feed you?

Math Is Hard said:
What a friend youu are MIH :uhh:

It's "smelly cat" and it's not my fault. Gyah!

Math Is Hard said:

Haha thanks MIH...uhhh I think :tongue:

I had to go with Geomike on this one...that was just so messed up

I had to go with my own. It's a picture I have no desire ever to see again.

I guess I should have held off on my entry, until I could see just how bad I had to be. :rofl:

^^ Yeah me to, unfortunately I only have a digital camera and usually delete all my bad pics right away.

scorpa said:
^^ Yeah me to, unfortunately I only have a digital camera and usually delete all my bad pics right away.

lol, "unfortunately"

Well "unfortunately" in terms of this contest anyway haha

No mercy for a bad astropic. :mad: ;)

I really wonder why GeoMike is leading (at the moment). His picture looks 'artistic'. :D

neutrino said:
I really wonder why GeoMike is leading.

I sent everyone here a dollar (you didn't get yours yet?)

:tongue2:
-GeoMike-

(An obvious) No . :grumpy:

You have barely a day left to vote in the first round of this contest, if you haven't done so already. This one is very tight!

Zz.

turbo-1 said:
I voted for my own picture. I made almost every error that an astrophotographer could possibly make in that one shot. I kept the print to remind me of that. In astrophotography, you don't learn as much from your successes at you do from your mistakes. Believe me, I developed a pretty comprehensive check-list after a few of those little gems. It's no fun to guide 20-30 minute exposures in cold weather, only to get your prints back and see that kind of stuff.

Thanks for clearing that up. I couldn't work out what on Earth it was... thought it may have been an apple... :tongue2:

Are we voteing for the best one or the worst one:confused:

I went with turbo. It's the hardest one to figure out (without a caption)!

-GeoMike-

scott1 said:
Are we voteing for the best one or the worst one:confused:

The worst one.

I think Geo Mike's photo is quite visually captivating it looks like an impressionist painting of a forest scene, worth another look, so unfortunately quite good. I'm sure someone in the art world could make a bundle out of doing this on purpose.

That said then number 1 is distinctly unimpressive, I'd go for that, good job on being bad.:smile:

1. What is the theme of "bad pictures" in this contest?

The theme of "bad pictures" in this contest is to capture and showcase photographs that are of poor quality or do not meet traditional standards of photography.

2. How will the winning photo be determined?

The winning photo will be determined by a panel of judges who will assess the photographs based on the theme and criteria of the contest.

3. Can I submit multiple photos for this contest?

Yes, you can submit multiple photos for this contest, but each participant can only win once.

4. Are there any restrictions on the type of camera or equipment used for the photos?

No, there are no restrictions on the type of camera or equipment used for the photos. Both professional and amateur photographers are welcome to participate.

5. Will my photo be used for any other purposes besides the contest?

No, your photo will only be used for the purpose of the contest and will not be used for any other purposes without your consent.