Circular motion and vertical circle

In summary, a horizontal circle generally means that the plane of the circle is horizontal (the axis is vertical). A vertical circle is the opposite. The tension in the string will vary at different positions along its path of travel in the case of a vertical circle.
MIA6
Now I am learning Uniform Circular motion, but I don't know what do horizontal circle and vertical circle mean? I think they must be very different in solving problems. Hope you can tell me, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
A horizontal circle generally means that the plane of the circle is horizontal (the axis is vertical). A vertical circle is the opposite.

a horizontal circle will have the force of gravity parallel to the axis of rotation, while a vertical circle will have gravity perpendicular.

The tension in the string will vary at different positions along its path of travel in the case of a vertical circle. (Maximum at the bottom, mv^2/r + mg, minimum at the top, mv^2/r - mg).

I think at least. Please correct me if I'm wrong o_O

Wouldn't the tension in the string be (F+mg) at the bottom and (F-mg) at the bottom? When your at the bottom you need a greater force to work against gravity to pull the weight up, but when your at the top gravity helps you.When the weight is on the side it's force is equal( Parallel?)

clustro said:
a horizontal circle will have the force of gravity parallel to the axis of rotation, while a vertical circle will have gravity perpendicular.
Yes.

The tension in the string will vary at different positions along its path of travel in the case of a vertical circle. (Maximum at the bottom, mv^2/r + mg, minimum at the top, mv^2/r - mg).
In the case of an object on a string being spun at constant speed in a vertical circle, you are correct.

Technically it isn't possible to whirl a bob in a perfect horizontal circle - see if you can figure out why.

Ashwath said:
Technically it isn't possible to whirl a bob in a perfect horizontal circle - see if you can figure out why.
Why not? (The string won't be horizontal, but the circular path can be.)

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path, where the object maintains a constant distance from a fixed point called the center of the circle. This type of motion is characterized by a constant speed and a continuously changing direction.

2. What is centripetal force in circular motion?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It always acts towards the center of the circle and is necessary to maintain the circular motion of an object. Without centripetal force, the object would move in a straight line tangent to the circle.

3. What is the difference between uniform circular motion and non-uniform circular motion?

In uniform circular motion, the speed of the object remains constant while its direction changes continuously. In non-uniform circular motion, the speed of the object is not constant, meaning it either speeds up or slows down while moving along the circular path.

4. What is a vertical circle?

A vertical circle is a circular path that is perpendicular to the ground. It is formed when an object moves in a circular motion while also experiencing a change in height. An example of this is a roller coaster ride, where the cart moves along a vertical circular track.

5. How is the centripetal force related to the velocity and radius of circular motion?

The centripetal force is directly proportional to the velocity squared and inversely proportional to the radius of circular motion. This means that as the velocity increases, the centripetal force also increases, and as the radius increases, the centripetal force decreases. This relationship is described by the equation Fc = mv²/r, where Fc is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius.