Direction of static friction between a vehicle and circular dome

In summary: I think I answered that already.The body's acceleration is in the direction of the centripetal force.
alyssam042
Homework Statement
Someone is riding a motorcycle in horizontal circles inside the surface of a large dome with radius R. They have a constant velocity v, and are located at angle θ above the ground. Draw a free body diagram including static friction.
Relevant Equations
None
So the only problem I am having is determining the direction of static friction. I did the same problem but while they were going in a vertical circular motion instead, where the static friction force was in the direction of centripetal force (pointing to the center of the circle).

Would it be the same in this case as well? Since the motorcycle is not going in a horizontal circular motion at the center of the dome, I have the normal force pointed perpendicular to the surface like normal. But what about the static friction?

Physics news on Phys.org
alyssam042 said:
going in a vertical circular motion instead, where the static friction force was in the direction of centripetal force (pointing to the center of the circle).
I fail to see how the static friction, which is necessarily tangential, could ever point radially.
alyssam042 said:
determining the direction of static friction
Please be specific about what possibilities you think you have narrowed it down to.

Likes scottdave
haruspex said:
I fail to see how the static friction, which is necessarily tangential, could ever point radially.

Please be specific about what possibilities you think you have narrowed it down to.
From what I understand, the static friction is usually what "supplies" the centripetal force, and causes radial acceleration.

I do not have it narrowed down to much unfortunately, I'm not sure if it would be normal to the path or just completely parallel to the path of the dome possibly.

1677984081022.png

Here is a diagram if that helps

Likes Lnewqban
alyssam042 said:
Here is a diagram if that helps
That is a diagram. It is not a "free body diagram" since it does not show any forces.

alyssam042 said:
I did the same problem but while they were going in a vertical circular motion instead, where the static friction force was in the direction of centripetal force (pointing to the center of the circle).
I think you are confusing the normal force and the force of static friction. In the vertical circle problem it is the normal force that provides the centripetal acceleration. By definition, the force of static friction is always parallel to the surface and the normal force is perpendicular and away from the surface. Can you add these two forces plus gravity in your drawing to address the issue that @jbriggs444 brought up in post #5? Drawing gravity and the normal force first should help you figure out how to draw the force of static friction.

Likes PeroK
jbriggs444 said:
That is a diagram. It is not a "free body diagram" since it does not show any forces.
I know. That is just a diagram the HW problem gave me, which is why I called it a diagram, not a free body diagram.

Likes PeroK
alyssam042 said:
From what I understand, the static friction is usually what "supplies" the centripetal force, and causes radial acceleration.
I can think of a situation like that, but I don’t think I've ever seen it in a physics exercise.
alyssam042 said:
I know. That is just a diagram the HW problem gave me
This forum requires that you show some attempt, so draw a free body diagram of the motorcycle-and-rider 'rigid' body, then try to answer as many of these questions as you can:

What forces act on it?
What are the directions of those forces, as far as you can determine?
If the motorcycle were on a level road, what would be the possible directions for friction between tyre and road?
What is the body’s acceleration (magnitude and direction)?

Please post your FBD.

Last edited:
Likes PeroK
haruspex said:
I can think of a situation like that, but I don’t think I've ever seen it in a physics exercise.
Car going around in a circle on a flat horizontal surface at constant speed?

Likes haruspex
kuruman said:
Car going around in a circle on a flat horizontal surface at constant speed?
Doh!

1. What is static friction?

Static friction is the force that resists the motion of an object when it is in contact with a surface. It acts in the opposite direction of the applied force and prevents the object from sliding or slipping.

2. How does static friction affect a vehicle on a circular dome?

The direction of static friction between a vehicle and a circular dome depends on the direction of the vehicle's motion. If the vehicle is moving clockwise, the static friction acts in the direction of the center of the dome, while if the vehicle is moving counterclockwise, the static friction acts away from the center of the dome.

3. What factors affect the direction of static friction on a circular dome?

The direction of static friction on a circular dome is affected by the speed and direction of the vehicle, the shape and surface of the dome, and the weight and friction coefficient of the vehicle's tires.

4. How does the direction of static friction affect the vehicle's motion on a circular dome?

The direction of static friction plays a crucial role in determining the vehicle's motion on a circular dome. If the direction of static friction is aligned with the vehicle's motion, it helps in maintaining the circular motion. However, if the direction of static friction is opposite to the vehicle's motion, it can cause the vehicle to lose control and slide or slip on the dome.

5. Can the direction of static friction be changed on a circular dome?

Yes, the direction of static friction can be changed on a circular dome by altering the speed and direction of the vehicle, changing the shape or surface of the dome, or adjusting the weight and friction coefficient of the vehicle's tires. Additionally, external forces such as wind or other vehicles can also affect the direction of static friction on the dome.