What is the use of representing wavefunctions as an exponential?

In summary, representing wavefunctions as complex numbers is a matter of mathematical convenience, especially when dealing with linear wave equations. However, it is important to note that in some cases, using real trigonometric functions may be more appropriate. Additionally, identifying the amplitude and phase of a complex number can also be a valid representation of a wave. It is important to consider the physical meaning and context when choosing a representation for a wavefunction.
pardesi
what is the use of representing wavefunctions say [tex]\psi(x,t)=A\cos(kx-\omega t)[/tex] by [tex]\psi(x,t)=Ae^{i(kx-\omega t)}[/tex] when we actually mean the real part

Physics news on Phys.org
It's purely a matter of mathematical convenience. In principle, we can solve any calculation involving a classical wave using only sines and cosines. However, some calculations are easier to do using complex exponentials.

yes i saw some but how cwn we be so sure that whatever we do using the complex numbers is right withoput checking them with the cos and sin

pardesi said:
yes i saw some but how cwn we be so sure that whatever we do using the complex numbers is right withoput checking them with the cos and sin

the reason is simple: generally you only use the complex plane wave representation in case you are dealing with a linear(wave) equation. But if it's linear you may may compose from or decompose into real and imaginary part (sine and cosine) without loss of generality.

If you have a nonlinear equation (even if it's one that "naturally" involves complex numbers) then using sin/cos won't give you an exact solution anyway.

Some authors first give the solution as a complex function, and then say "we choose the real part, because only it has physical meaning." That is something that, I would say, is closer to poetry than to science. Of course you cannot just split arbitrary solution f into sum of two functions, f=f_1+f_2, and hope that these functions f_1 and f_2 alone would still be solutions. Complex numbers and physical meanings are there only to add confusion.

If the PDE is linear, then that gives the correct result because the real trigonometric functions can be written as linear combinations of complex exponential functions.

Sometimes the easiness seems to stem from the fact that in can be frustrating to use the trigonometric formulas such as cos(A+B)=cos(A)cos(B)-sin(A)sin(B) and sin(A+B)=sin(A)cos(B)+sin(B)cos(A), when the formula exp(A+B)=exp(A)exp(B) is much easier. Although I don't think I have example of this right now.

You don't necessarily need to take the real part. You can just as well represent the wave by a complex number by identifying the amplitude with the absolute value of the complex number and the phase by the phase of the complex number.

jostpuur said:
If the PDE is linear, then that gives the correct result because the real trigonometric functions can be written as linear combinations of complex exponential functions.

I shall add: if the complex conjugate is also a solution then adding the wave and its complex conjugate amounts to taking the real part.

I agree that physics authors are too reluctant to mention the seemingly obvious, which can be quite irritating for a novice.

Count Iblis said:
You don't necessarily need to take the real part. You can just as well represent the wave by a complex number by identifying the amplitude with the absolute value of the complex number and the phase by the phase of the complex number.

If you are discribing for example a mechanical string, which is described by a real wave equation, you won't get what you really want (i.e. the time dependent elongation) by calculating the complex modulus (that's always a positive number !). What you would get instead is the RMS time average over one period, and this is indeed a very useful property if this is what you are interested in. This is used for example in the Poynting theorem in Fourier space (see Jackson, Electrodynamics).

Last edited:

1. What is the significance of representing wavefunctions as an exponential?

Representing wavefunctions as an exponential allows us to simplify mathematical calculations and make them more manageable. It also provides a clearer understanding of the behavior and properties of wavefunctions.

2. How does representing wavefunctions as an exponential aid in understanding quantum mechanics?

By representing wavefunctions as an exponential, we can better visualize and analyze the behavior of particles in the quantum world. This representation helps us understand the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics and how it differs from classical mechanics.

3. Can wavefunctions be represented as any type of exponential function?

Yes, wavefunctions can be represented as any type of exponential function, including complex exponentials. The choice of the specific exponential function depends on the physical system being studied and the properties of the wavefunction that need to be represented.

4. How does representing wavefunctions as an exponential relate to the Schrödinger equation?

The Schrödinger equation describes the behavior of quantum systems and is based on the representation of wavefunctions as an exponential. This mathematical relationship allows us to predict the evolution of a quantum system over time and make calculations about its properties.

5. Are there any limitations to representing wavefunctions as an exponential?

While representing wavefunctions as an exponential is a useful tool, it is not always the most efficient or accurate method. In some cases, other mathematical representations may be more suitable for describing certain properties of a wavefunction or for solving specific problems in quantum mechanics.