[SOLVED] Regarding the Superposition of Two Plane Waves

Slimy0233
1692357716134.png

My professor was teaching me about the superposition of two waves and after this derivation, he marked ##2Acos(\frac{dk}{2}x -\frac{d\omega}{2}t)## as the oscillation part and ##sin (Kx-\omega t)## as the oscillation part, I don't understand why? Any answers regarding this would be considered helpful.

My main question would be, why did he choose sin part as the oscillation and why not the cos part and more importantly, why not both? I mean, my bad intuition tells me, that I should include both.

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer is in the assumption that ##\mathrm{d}k \ll k## and ##\mathrm{d} \omega \ll \omega##. First, think about ##y## as function of ##x## at a fixed time. The cos-factor has a spatial period of ##4 \pi/\mathrm{d} k## and the sin-factor one of ##2 \pi/k\ll 4 \pi/\mathrm{d} k##. So the first cos factor is much slower varying than the sin factor as a function of ##x##. So you can interpret this as something oscillating in space with a wave length ##\lambda=2 \pi/k## and a position dependent amplitude, where the dependence of this amplitude on ##x## is much slower, i.e., the corresponding wave-length of these variations is ##\lambda'=4 \pi/\Delta k \gg \lambda##.

The analogous arguments hold also for the variations of the factors with time at a fixed position in space.

• Love
Likes Slimy0233
vanhees71 said:
The answer is in the assumption that ##\mathrm{d}k \ll k## and ##\mathrm{d} \omega \ll \omega##. First, think about ##y## as function of ##x## at a fixed time. The cos-factor has a spatial period of ##4 \pi/\mathrm{d} k## and the sin-factor one of ##2 \pi/k\ll 4 \pi/\mathrm{d} k##. So the first cos factor is much slower varying than the sin factor as a function of ##x##. So you can interpret this as something oscillating in space with a wave length ##\lambda=2 \pi/k## and a position dependent amplitude, where the dependence of this amplitude on ##x## is much slower, i.e., the corresponding wave-length of these variations is ##\lambda'=4 \pi/\Delta k \gg \lambda##.

The analogous arguments hold also for the variations of the factors with time at a fixed position in space.
beautiful analogy! thank you!

[SOLVED]

Slimy0233 said:
My main question would be, why did he choose sin part as the oscillation and why not the cos part and more importantly, why not both? I mean, my bad intuition tells me, that I should include both.
I am not very comfortable with the derivation. While I understand what your prof is trying to do, his/her methods seem unnecessarilly capricious. In particular exact derivations can be found for adding waves. Let's add two waves $$f(x,t)=cos(k_1x-\omega_1t)+cos(k_2x-\omega_2t) $$ then using trig identities $$ =2cos\left( \frac {(k_2-k_1)x-(\omega_2-\omega_1)t} 2 \right)cos\left( \frac {(k_2+k_1)x-(\omega_2+\omega_1)t} 2 \right)$$ $$=2f_1(x,t)f_2(x.t)$$
Typically the differences are smaller than the sums and f1 "modulates" f2. For your ear at x=0 this will give sound "beats" at the small difference frequency in the usual way.

Likes Slimy0233, Ibix and vanhees71
hutchphd said:
I am not very comfortable with the derivation. While I understand what your prof is trying to do, his/her methods seem unnecessarilly capricious. In particular exact derivations can be found for adding waves. Let's add two waves $$f(x,t)=cos(k_1x-\omega_1t)+cos(k_2x-\omega_2t) $$ then using trig identities $$ =2cos\left( \frac {(k_2-k_1)x-(\omega_2-\omega_1)t} 2 \right)cos\left( \frac {(k_2+k_1)x-(\omega_2+\omega_1)t} 2 \right)$$ $$=2f_1(x,t)f_2(x.t)$$
Typically the differences are smaller than the sums and f1 "modulates" f2. For your ear at x=0 this will give sound "beats" at the small difference frequency in the usual way.
thank you for this sir!

Likes hutchphd

1. What is superposition of two plane waves?

The superposition of two plane waves refers to the phenomenon in which two waves with the same frequency and wavelength intersect and combine to form a new wave. This new wave is the result of the addition of the individual amplitudes of the two waves at each point in space.

2. How is the amplitude of the resulting wave determined?

The amplitude of the resulting wave is determined by the sum of the individual amplitudes of the two intersecting waves. If the two waves have the same amplitude, the resulting wave will have an amplitude that is twice that of the individual waves. If the two waves have different amplitudes, the resulting wave will have an amplitude that is somewhere between the two.

3. What is the phase difference between the two intersecting waves?

The phase difference between the two intersecting waves is the difference in the starting points of the waves. This difference can affect the resulting wave, as it determines the points at which the two waves will constructively or destructively interfere.

4. How does the direction of propagation affect the superposition of two plane waves?

The direction of propagation of the two waves can affect the resulting wave in two ways. If the two waves are traveling in opposite directions, they will cancel each other out and no resulting wave will be formed. If the two waves are traveling in the same direction, they will add together and create a new wave with a larger amplitude.

5. What are some practical applications of the superposition of two plane waves?

The superposition of two plane waves is a fundamental concept in many fields, including acoustics, optics, and quantum mechanics. It is used to explain phenomena such as interference patterns, diffraction, and the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It also has practical applications in technologies such as radio communication, ultrasound imaging, and laser technology.