2 identical capacitors, given potential in joules

In summary, when identical capacitors A and B are connected in parallel with A being charged with 4J of energy and B being uncharged, the total stored energy in the capacitors is 2J. This is because the capacitance doubles while the total charge remains the same, resulting in a halving of the potential energy from A. The equation used to find the energy stored in a capacitor, U = q^2/2C, takes into account the total charge and the capacitance, and the halving of both in this scenario results in a halving of the total stored energy from A.
jendead

Homework Statement

Capacitors A and B are identical. Capacitor A is charged so it stores 4J of energy and capacitor B is uncharged. The capacitors are then connected in parallel. The total stored energy in the capacitors is now ____.

Homework Equations

U = q^2/2C

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, I'm not sure if this is allowed.. I already know the answer is 2J. My professor gave us an answer key with the problem done out, but I don't understand what is happening. I'm not sure where 2J went. It says 2J of energy were required to move charge from the charged capacitor to the uncharged one.

I know initial potential of A is 4J, and initial potential of B is 0. For final potential, she has U_final = q^2/2C = 1/2*q^2/2C. Where did the second 1/2 come from?

I would really appreciate some clarification.. I'm really confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
When the two capacitors are connected in parallel the capacitance doubles, while Q remains the same.

I understand that, but I don't see how that relates here. From the look of the answer key, I don't understand where total potential is halved when being spread out over 2 capacitors.

The potential is halved because the same charge is being spread out over two capacitors. What the relation between potential and charge for a capacitor?

It's U = q^2/2C.. so if I plug in (q/2)^2/2(2C), which is halving the charge and doubling the capacitance, I'd have q^2/16C.. which still makes no sense.

Am I missing something conceptually or algebraically?

The U in that equation is energy stored the capacitor, not potential between the plates (volts). Is that your problem?

Yes, I'm trying to find the potential energy (in joules), not the voltage. I may have been unclear when I said potential.

If you understand why capacitance doubles, then why can't you just change the C in Q^2/(2C) to 2C and conclude 4J changes to 2J?

Ok, that's starting to make sense.. but why isn't Q also changed to Q/2 since it's being halved at the same time?

I apologize for being so dense - I tend to have a really hard time with these concepts sometimes.

Q is total Q, between both capacitors. Total charge doesn't change. C changes to C/2. It does change.

Ok, that makes sense. Thank you for being patient. :)

1. What is the equation for calculating the potential energy of two identical capacitors?

The equation for calculating the potential energy of two identical capacitors is PE = 1/2 * C * (V^2), where PE is the potential energy in joules, C is the capacitance in farads, and V is the potential in volts.

2. How do you determine the capacitance of two identical capacitors?

The capacitance of two identical capacitors can be determined by adding the individual capacitances of each capacitor. For example, if two 10 microfarad capacitors are connected in parallel, the total capacitance would be 20 microfarads.

3. Can the potential energy of two identical capacitors be negative?

No, the potential energy of two identical capacitors cannot be negative. Capacitors store energy in the form of electric potential energy, which is always positive.

4. How does increasing the potential of two identical capacitors affect their potential energy?

Increasing the potential of two identical capacitors will also increase their potential energy. This is because the potential energy is directly proportional to the square of the potential.

5. What happens to the potential energy of two identical capacitors when they are connected in series?

When two identical capacitors are connected in series, the total potential energy will remain the same as the individual capacitors. However, the total capacitance will decrease, resulting in a higher potential difference between the two capacitors.