What are the real qualities of a good leader?

• News
  • Thread starter Cyrus
  • Start date
In summary: Is it possible to maintain American influence in the world while also reducing our military presence and involvement in foreign conflicts?What specific measures will you take to address climate change and reduce carbon emissions?How will you address the issue of income inequality and ensure that all Americans have access to a decent standard of living?Will you take action to reform the healthcare system and make healthcare more accessible and affordable for all Americans?How will you address the issue of gun control and ensure the safety of American citizens while also protecting their Second Amendment rights?Do you believe in comprehensive immigration reform and if so, what specific policies will you implement to achieve this?In summary, the conversation touched on a
Cyrus
Once the debates start, what questions would you like to see asked, but know probably won't ever get asked?

Mine:

-What's your educational background and what intellectual achievement's do you have?

-How many languages do you speak?

-How many countries have you been to outside of the united states?

-How many world leaders do you keep in regular contact with?

Physics news on Phys.org
Something about the prison system.

Something about science. Like, their stance on it, not a pop quiz.

Maybe something about the justice system? Juries get paid $10 a day to miss an entire day's work at best, and a LONG time at worst? Prosecutors and defenders fight each other instead of working together to find the truth?

I don't know, those are just things I've been having in the back of my mind for a while.

Yours are pretty good, Cyrus. I'm surprised those aren't standard questions. Well, not really. Nobody likes to be shown to be an idiot and the media knows they won't get anymore interview if they are the ones to out someone as an idiot.

-How many kids do you personally have over sea's in a warzone?

-How many wars have you fought in?

It's 3 AM . . . :rofl:

Astronuc said:
It's 3 AM . . . :rofl:

Huh?

Cyrus said:
Huh?
Geez, Cyrus, where've you been. That was a reference to a comment made by Clinton during the Democratic primary with respect to Obama's qualification. Clinton was making a point about the White House phone ringing at 3 am in conjunction with some international incident and asserting she had the experience to deal with it as opposed to her novice opponent.

Of the 120+ civil wars in the world since World War II, how many have been resolved peacefully though a shared government and what lessons from those would you apply to Iraq and Afghanistan?

I think that would have been a good question in the primaries, too, except I'm afraid at least a couple candidates would have answered "Korea", or something equally ignorant.

What do you think went wrong with the war on drugs?

How do we recapture the inner cities

What will you do for the Gaza strip ?
What will you do for Darfur ?
What will you do for North-Korea ?
What will you do for Tibet ?
How will you ensure USA international authority ?

In the context of "opposing good and evil", would you agree with the idea that the separation between church and state needs to be worked on in this democracy/republic, that it must be clearly stated Islam by itself is as respectable as Catholicism, and that all kinds of extremism are more worrisome, including ours ?

• Are you willing to decrease the size of the federal government by doing away with some government positions?
  • Are you willing to send your own children into combat zones?
  • Are you willing keep government intervention out of businesses that operate more efficiently than the government?
  • Are you planning to increase government handouts to those who can work but will not?
  • Are you planning to stifle business expansion by overtaxing those who create jobs?
  • Are you planning to castrate the military by cutting off funds or otherwise impeding their mission?
  • Are you planning to vigorously pursue, capture or kill known terrorists?
  • Are you planning to be fair and unbiased, open and accessible to the public or do you plan to carry on the traditions of American politics?
  • Are you planning to compensate those state and local governments that have been economically lambasted by the influx of illegal aliens and the free services granted to them?
  • Are you planning to assure taxation of illegal aliens?
  • Are you planning to stop the flow of untaxed money from the USA "back home"?
  • Are you planning to take away my right to own a gun?
  • Would you sit down and have a drink with me at my favorite watering hole?

isly ilwott said:
  • Are you willing to decrease the size of the federal government by doing away with some government positions?
  • Are you willing to send your own children into combat zones?
  • Are you willing keep government intervention out of businesses that operate more efficiently than the government?
  • Are you planning to increase government handouts to those who can work but will not?
  • Are you planning to stifle business expansion by overtaxing those who create jobs?
  • Are you planning to castrate the military by cutting off funds or otherwise impeding their mission?
  • Are you planning to vigorously pursue, capture or kill known terrorists?
  • Are you planning to be fair and unbiased, open and accessible to the public or do you plan to carry on the traditions of American politics?
  • Are you planning to compensate those state and local governments that have been economically lambasted by the influx of illegal aliens and the free services granted to them?
  • Are you planning to assure taxation of illegal aliens?
  • Are you planning to stop the flow of untaxed money from the USA "back home"?
  • Are you planning to take away my right to own a gun?
  • Would you sit down and have a drink with me at my favorite watering hole?

Ah, come on Issy, you don't want pols to have to answer real questions do you?

Actually, it is a good set of question. Maybe a bit too leading. A more neutral presentation would would be better so you wouldn't give away your political bent. If I was a pol I would know how to answer you since you gave away how you feel by the structure of the questions.

wildman said:
Ah, come on Issy, you don't want pols to have to answer real questions do you?

Actually, it is a good set of question. Maybe a bit too leading. A more neutral presentation would would be better so you wouldn't give away your political bent. If I was a pol I would know how to answer you since you gave away how you feel by the structure of the questions.
Any slick politician can weazle their way out of a yes/no question.

For both McCain and Obama:

Is a lassez-faire attitude toward the free market and the economy consistent with the idea of bailouts in order to shore up the economy, and if so, why is it consistent?

Q: What are the three biggest reasons that Obama such a bad choice for President?

jimmysnyder said:
Q: What are the three biggest reasons that Obama such a bad choice for President?

Ummmmmm...okay...:uhh:

I'd really like to ask questions that would illicit honest/unscripted/non-creampuff responses... unfortunately I can't think of any.

jimmysnyder said:
  1. He's too intelligent.
  2. He's too educated.
  3. He makes decisions based on evidence and careful thought instead of acting on impulse.

What violations of Constitutional law have or may have occurred under the Bush administration, and what actions will you take to restore a lawful government and protect the Constitution?

Do you intend to investigate the Bush White House and prosecute where criminal activity is indicated?

Is water-boarding torture, and is it illegal?

What role has deregulation played in the current banking crisis, and what has been your role in supporting or opposing the deregulation of this industry?

Approximately how many current or former Washington lobbyists do you have on the payroll?

Ginger or Mary Ann

Good questions.

uhhhhMary Ann.

Alfi said:
Mary Ann.

Correct!

las3rjock said:
jimmysnyder said:
  1. He's too intelligent.
  2. He's too educated.
  3. He makes decisions based on evidence and careful thought instead of acting on impulse.

Ironic - just today I was considering starting a similar thread as a maturity/objectivity check (you both failed). The question would go something like this:

List 3 positive things about the candidate you like the least.
List 3 negative things about the candidate you like the most.

I think such exercises are very useful for gauging how reasonable a discussion is. There are lots of examples of good, bad, and rediculously bad questions in this thread (and forum!).

1. What is the purpose of "Questions for Candidates"?

The purpose of "Questions for Candidates" is to gather information and insights from political candidates about their views, policies, and plans for addressing important issues and leading their respective constituencies.

2. How are the questions for candidates selected?

The questions for candidates are typically selected by a team of researchers and experts in various fields, who identify key topics and issues that are relevant to the election and the public interest. They may also take into account suggestions and feedback from the general public.

3. Who can submit a question for candidates?

Anyone can submit a question for candidates, as many organizations and media outlets often have open calls for questions from the public. However, the final selection of questions is typically made by the team responsible for creating the list of questions for the candidates.

4. How are the questions for candidates structured?

The questions for candidates are typically structured to be clear, concise, and specific. They may also be categorized by topic or theme, and may include follow-up questions to further clarify the candidate's stance on a particular issue.

5. Are candidates required to answer all the questions?

No, candidates are not required to answer all the questions. However, their responses (or lack thereof) may be viewed by the public as an indication of their transparency and willingness to engage with important issues. It is ultimately up to the candidates to choose which questions they will address.