Thank you to all the nurses on this planet

In summary, I believe that nurses are an essential part of any hospital and are essential in controlling the spread of Covid19-SARS2. They are usually very good at their jobs and make the hospital environment much safer.
fresh_42
Mentor
Insights Author
2023 Award
I am not sure whether this thread will get many responses, nor am I sure that any nurse will ever see it. Maybe @Greg Bernhardt can promote it on facebook. Anyway, I strongly feel the urgent need to acknowledge what they all do for us.

I had the chance to closely observe the work nurses have to fulfill. Due to a small surgery my hospital stay covered 28 hours which gave me a good impression of one full day's workload - night included. I do not know how it is elsewhere in this world, but nurses are not really adequately paid here. Even the glamor goes to the doctors, sometimes the clinic. Combined all examinations, I get at most 2 hours of work for doctors in my case, but 2 days of work for the nurses all in all. They are always present, enormously patient, friendly, and have to deal with people they do not understand, people who do not understand them, often in a language which isn't their native one, people who cannot hear, or see very well, people who bring in unnecessary stress, and so on. And they deal with strangers who leave their lives quickly and forever, while pretending this was not the case. I have had the chance to take a closer look, and since my surgery was no severe one, I could do few other things than observe.

This all holds true for the normal business as usual. And now we have Covid19-SARS2 on top of it all. Means: our nurses are permanently exposed to the danger of an infection; many thousand times as likely as you and me. Hence I only wanted to say
Thank you to all the nurses on this planet!

We are talking about Corona in all its variants, and in many threads. I thought a thread which talks about those who are primarily dealing with this crisis would be a good idea. Maybe you have similar experiences, relatives or friends who work as nurses, so that you could add some insights from their perspective.

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes Astronuc, DrGreg, DennisN and 5 others
Physics news on Phys.org
I will tell my sister, midwife. Thanks!

Likes fresh_42
Yeah, I've had the pleasure to work with lots of nurses in lots of different situations/venues over the years, and they are awesome. Whether it's in a regular hospital, or in the dark, in the rain, in a field hospital treating patients ("austere medicine"), they really make it all work. :cool:

I think that most people who are involved in hospitals and health care realize what you are saying is correct.
I spend a lot of time in a local hospital and the nurses (and orderlies) are usually outstanding in many ways.
They get all the jobs (some kind of nasty) that have to be done and which doctors are not going to be doing.

WRT covid, I think things are much better controlled (due to better understanding of the disease) in hospitals (at least the ones I go to) than they were initially.
I feel safer now in the hospital environment than I do in a lot of other commercial places. People's behavior and procedures in the hospitals should prevent it from spreading.

1. What inspired you to thank nurses?

As a scientist, I have always been fascinated by the human body and how it works. Through my research and studies, I have come to understand the crucial role that nurses play in the healthcare system. They are the backbone of patient care and their dedication and hard work deserve recognition and gratitude.

2. Why is it important to thank nurses specifically?

Nurses are not only responsible for providing physical care to patients, but they also play a vital role in supporting and comforting them during their most vulnerable moments. They are often the first point of contact for patients and their families, and their compassion and empathy can make a significant difference in the healing process.

3. How have nurses made a difference in your life?

Personally, I have had family members and friends who have been cared for by nurses during their illnesses. Seeing the level of care and dedication that nurses provide has left a lasting impact on me. They have not only helped in the physical healing but have also provided emotional support and comfort during difficult times.

4. What are some ways to show appreciation to nurses?

There are many ways to show appreciation to nurses, such as writing thank-you notes, giving small gifts, or simply saying "thank you" when you see them. It is also essential to support and advocate for better working conditions and fair compensation for nurses, as their job can be physically and emotionally demanding.

5. How can we support and show gratitude to nurses during the COVID-19 pandemic?

The COVID-19 pandemic has highlighted the critical role that nurses play in our healthcare system. To support and show gratitude to nurses during this time, we can follow safety guidelines, such as wearing masks and practicing social distancing, to reduce the burden on healthcare workers. Additionally, we can donate to organizations that support nurses or send care packages to healthcare facilities to show our appreciation.