Need Some serious help on a genetic problem

• Thread starter babbagee
  • Start date
In summary, the female parent has a genotype of LlRr and the male parent has a genotype of LlRy. The eye color is a sex-linked trait, with the red eye allele being dominant and located on the X chromosome. This can be determined by looking at the phenotypes of the progeny and the sex-linked square. The male parent has the red eye phenotype and therefore must have at least one copy of the red eye allele.
babbagee
The question is

You have crossed two Drosophila individuals that have long wings and red eyes they wild-type phenotype. In the progeney, the mutant phenotypes called curved wings and lozenge eyes appear as follows:

Females
600 long-wing, red eyes
300 curved wing, red eyes

Males:
300 long wings, red eyes
300 long wings, lozenge eyes
100 curved wings, red eyes
100 curved wings, lozenge eyes

What is the genotype of the female parent?
what is the genotype of the male parent?

What i used for my notation:
L= long wings
l=curved wings
R= red eyes
r=lozenge eyes

I already know that genotype for the wings its Ll for both parents due to the 3:1 ratio. My problem is how do i do the eyes. This problem was on my last test. And i got the eyes wrong because, the eyes are sex linked. How do i detrmine if it is sex linked or not. And after i find if its sex linked, where do i go from there.

I really need hlep on this problem. I do not know how to do genetics problem involving sex linked traits. Any one that knows anything about this topic help me out. I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Biology news on Phys.org
The clues that is sex link, it that the r phenotype is absent from the females and 50% of the males have the r phenotype.

When it is sex link, the female has to have both recessive allelle t have the r phenotype whereas the male only has one copy of the gene. The gene is on the X chromosome.

The sex-link square would be as follow for F1

PHP:
F1
    XR      Xr
XR XRXR  XRXr
Y   XRY    XrY

In your problem the square would be as follow

PHP:
F1
      XRL       XRl       XrL       Xrl
XRL XRLXRL   XRlXRL   XrLXRL   XrlXRL
XRl  XRLXRl   XRlXRl    XrLXRl     XrlXRl
YL  XRLYL     XRlYL     XrLYL     XrlYL
Yl   XRY       XrYl        XrLYl      XrlYl

Last edited:
One last question, That means that the famale has both the R, r phenotype right. One is on one x chromosome and the other is on the other. But how did you detrmine that the male has A R allele, and not a r. Is that because 50% of the males had red eyes.

it is your stated phenotype was red eye and it is a wild type. A wild type phenotype is the major phenotype in a given population. Therefore it is dominant. You also see that the male carry the R genotype because no female had the lozenge eye phenotype. If a the male would of carry the r genotype and so did the female, 1/8 of the female would have the lozenge phenotype.

1. What is a genetic problem?

A genetic problem is a medical condition or disorder that is caused by an abnormality in a person's DNA. This can be inherited from parents or occur spontaneously due to mutations.

2. How can a genetic problem be diagnosed?

A genetic problem can be diagnosed through various methods, such as genetic testing, family history evaluation, and physical examinations. Genetic testing involves analyzing a person's DNA to identify any abnormalities or mutations that may be causing the problem.

3. Can genetic problems be treated?

Some genetic problems can be treated, while others may only have management options. Treatment options may include medications, surgeries, or lifestyle changes. However, not all genetic problems have a cure, and management may focus on improving symptoms and preventing complications.

4. How do genetic problems impact a person's health?

The impact of a genetic problem on a person's health can vary greatly depending on the specific disorder and its severity. Some genetic problems may have minimal impact on a person's health, while others can be life-threatening and significantly affect daily functioning and quality of life.

5. Is there a way to prevent genetic problems?

In some cases, genetic problems can be prevented by avoiding certain environmental factors or making lifestyle changes. However, many genetic problems are inherited and cannot be prevented. Genetic counseling can help individuals understand their risks and make informed decisions about family planning and managing their condition.