Complex analysis / Using analyticity of f to prove f is constant

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that a function f is constant if it is analytic and its modulus is constant on a domain. The hint is to use the function f*=|f|^2/f, which is also analytic. The Cauchy-Riemann equations are used to show that the partial derivatives of u and v (the real and imaginary parts of f) are both equal to zero, implying that f is constant. The conversation also mentions the use of the quotient rule to show the analyticity of f* and the fact that a constant function is always analytic.
AxiomOfChoice

Homework Statement

I'm supposed to show that, if [itex]f[/itex] is analytic and [itex]|f|[/itex] is constant on a domain [itex]D \subset \mathbb{C}[/itex], [itex]f[/itex] is constant.

Homework Equations

The hint is to write [itex]f^* = |f|^2 / f[/itex]. I might also need to use the fact that if [itex]f^*[/itex] is analytic too, then [itex]f[/itex] is constant.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I followed the hint, and I fail to see how it helps at all. Given the hypotheses of the problem, I guess we know [itex]f^* = A / f[/itex] for some [itex]A > 0[/itex], but this doesn't strike me as particularly useful. Writing [itex]f = u(x,y) + i v(x,y)[/itex] only seems to complicate things, but don't I eventually have to do this? I'm guessing I'm supposed to use the Cauchy-Riemann Equations together, in some way, with the fact (proved in my text) that if [itex]h(x,y)[/itex] is a real-valued function that satisfies [itex]\nabla h = 0[/itex] on a domain, then [itex]h[/itex] is constant on that domain. But taking partial derivatives and trying to use [itex]u_x = v_y[/itex] and [itex]u_y = -v_x[/itex] just makes things messy.

Physics news on Phys.org
You've got all the ingredients in front of you. If f=u+iv is analytic then f*=(u-iv)=A/f is also analytic. Write out the Cauchy-Riemann equations for both f and f*. What do they tell you about the partial derivatives of u and v?

Right now, I've got a system of equations for [itex]f = u+iv[/itex]: (1) [itex]uu_x = vv_x[/itex] and (2) [itex]uu_y = vv_y[/itex]. These came from [itex]u^2 + v^2 = [/itex] Constant. But I've got to show that [itex]u_x = u_y = 0[/itex] from this and [itex]u_x = v_y[/itex], [itex]u_y = -v_x[/itex]. Any hints? I still can't quite get there...

I already gave you a hint. f=u+iv and f*=u-iv are analytic. Use Cauchy-Riemann on both of them.

Dick said:
I already gave you a hint. f=u+iv and f*=u-iv are analytic. Use Cauchy-Riemann on both of them.
You did. Sorry. I'll do that :)

Dick said:
I figured it out. Thanks! That was very helpful.

Last edited:
well i figured it out using the hint too,but i didn't have to use the fact that modulus of f is constant on D.i just used the cauchy-riemann eqns from f=u+iv;
du/dx=dv/dy and from f*=u-iv; du/dx=-dv/dy hence du/dx =0, and found the partial derivatives to be zero and so f has to be constant.so where do we use the modulus of f being constant?is it when we show the analyticity of f*?
maybe it's something like that if f is analytic then 1/f is also analytic so f*=a.1/f is also analytic where a is modulus of f.but i don't know anything about the analyticity of 1/f and can't we just prove it using u and v?
-it became kind of long and sort of complicated so sorry if it's not understandable.

bluenickel said:
well i figured it out using the hint too,but i didn't have to use the fact that modulus of f is constant on D.i just used the cauchy-riemann eqns from f=u+iv;
du/dx=dv/dy and from f*=u-iv; du/dx=-dv/dy hence du/dx =0, and found the partial derivatives to be zero and so f has to be constant.so where do we use the modulus of f being constant?is it when we show the analyticity of f*?
maybe it's something like that if f is analytic then 1/f is also analytic so f*=a.1/f is also analytic where a is modulus of f.but i don't know anything about the analyticity of 1/f and can't we just prove it using u and v?
-it became kind of long and sort of complicated so sorry if it's not understandable.

Yes, you use |f|=constant to prove f* is analytic. The problem is that |f| isn't generally an analytic function. A constant IS analytic.

but i don't know anything about the analyticity of 1/f and can't we just prove it using u and v?p

You should know something about the analyticity of f! Just from the normal quotient rule that you have from real analysis

In general: If |f| is not constant, then it's probably not analytic. Also f* is almost never analytic, you just have a very special case here (in fact you can show that the function that takes z to its complex conjugate is not analytic)

yes,this is really easy with quotient rule.thanks for the help!

1. What is complex analysis?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions of complex numbers. It involves the application of calculus and algebra to analyze these functions and understand their properties, behavior, and relationships.

2. How can complex analysis be used?

Complex analysis can be used to solve problems in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is also an essential tool in pure mathematics, specifically in the study of complex variables, harmonic functions, and complex differential equations.

3. What is analyticity in complex analysis?

Analyticity is a property of a complex function, which means that the function is differentiable at every point in its domain. It also implies that the function can be represented as a power series expansion, which allows for the use of techniques such as differentiation and integration.

4. How can analyticity be used to prove a function is constant?

If a function is analytic on a certain region, then it follows that the function is differentiable at every point in that region. If a function is differentiable at every point, then its derivative is also a function that satisfies the same properties. Therefore, by showing that the derivative of the function is equal to zero on the given region, we can conclude that the function itself must be constant on that region.

5. What are some common techniques used in proving the analyticity of a function?

Some common techniques used in proving the analyticity of a function include the Cauchy-Riemann equations, the Cauchy integral formula, and the Taylor series expansion. These techniques often involve manipulation of complex numbers and algebraic equations to show that the function satisfies the necessary conditions for analyticity.