Conceptual center of mass question - No calculations

In summary: This is because a larger angle provides a greater stability margin, meaning that a larger force is required to topple the ladder. This is especially important when the floor has a coefficient of friction, as it helps counteract the tendency of the ladder to slip. In summary, it is necessary to make the angle large when using a ladder on a smooth wall and a floor with a coefficient of friction in order to increase stability and prevent slippage.
crafty2288

Homework Statement

In using a ladder where the wall is smooth but the floor has a coefficient Us, why is it necessary to make the angle large?

Homework Equations

p11-78alt.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm a little confused by this, because I would think that you would want to make the angle smaller and have the center of mass be lower. What is the benefit of the ladder being more vertical?

Attachments

• p11-78alt.gif
    p11-78alt.gif
    14 KB · Views: 406
Physics news on Phys.org
Is the question specifically asking why to make the angle larger? Because normally, your reasoning would be correct.

Here is the exact problem as my professor wrote it. i didn't post it before, because frankly... His handwriting is impossible to decipher. I am just confused because the mass of the person makes the center of mass EVEN higher. I see no reason why increasing the angle is beneficial.

9308e978367172.gif

Well it seems that if you sum the moments about the point where it touches the bottom, the moments will depend on cosθ. But this is assuming the the center of mass of the person is directly on the ladder.

EDIT: I forgot about the other normal force. To be honest, I really don't see how increasing that angle will make it more stable.

Try looking at the torque produced by the mg-force and the normal force from the wall with respect to the point of contact on the ground. What happens if the angle increases/decreases?

The R.D. Werner Ladder Co. recommends that its ladders be used at an angle of 75 degrees.

Last edited:

1. What is the conceptual center of mass?

The conceptual center of mass is a theoretical point in an object where the entire mass of the object can be considered to be concentrated. It is the point at which an object would balance perfectly if suspended from that point.

2. How is the conceptual center of mass different from the actual center of mass?

The actual center of mass is the physical point where the mass of an object is evenly distributed. The conceptual center of mass is a theoretical point that is used for simplifying calculations and understanding the overall behavior of an object.

3. Why is the conceptual center of mass important in physics?

The conceptual center of mass is important in physics because it helps to simplify complex systems and allows for easier analysis of an object's motion and stability. It is also a useful concept in understanding rotational motion and equilibrium.

4. How is the conceptual center of mass determined?

The conceptual center of mass can be determined by visualizing the object as a collection of point masses and finding the point where the sum of the moments of all these point masses is zero. In simpler terms, it is the point where an object would balance perfectly if suspended from that point.

5. Can the conceptual center of mass be outside of an object?

Yes, the conceptual center of mass can be outside of an object. This is often the case for irregularly shaped objects where the center of mass may not lie within the physical boundaries of the object. However, the concept of the center of mass still applies and can be used to analyze the object's motion and stability.