Center of mass and rotation question

In summary, the question is asking for the speed of the 100g ball rotating around the center of mass, given that it is connected to a 250g ball by a massless, rigid rod and both balls are rotating at 150 rpm about their center of mass. The attempt at a solution involves calculating the center of mass and converting rpm to m/s, but the resulting calculation of 2.7m/s is incorrect and further clarification is needed.
sp3sp2sp

Homework Statement

A 100 g ball and a 250 g ball are connected by a 34-cm-long, massless, rigid rod. The balls rotate about their center of mass at 150 rpm .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved by first getting the center of mass, then converting rpm into m/s
I treated rigid rod as the x-axis
I assumed that the 100g ball rotates at same speed as 250g ball because they are connected by a rigid rod.

0.1kg(0m)+0.25kg(0.34m) / 0.1kg+0.250kg

= 0.24m = the center of mass around which the 2 balls rotate.

150rpm (1min/60s) 0.34m(pi)
=2.7m/s = wrong for some reason

thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the question in the homework problem?

The balls rotate with the same angular velocity, but the velocity relative to the center of mass depends both on the angular velocity and the (different) distance to the center of mass.

wow i can't believe i forgot to include that..sorry. The question is: what is the speed of the 100g ball?

That is probably relative to the center of mass.

sp3sp2sp said:
150rpm (1min/60s) 0.34m(pi)=2.7m/s
I don't understand this calculation. Please fill in the details.

What is the center of mass?

The center of mass is the point at which the entire mass of an object can be considered to be concentrated. It is the point where all the mass is evenly distributed, meaning that if a force is applied at this point, the object will have no rotation.

How is the center of mass calculated?

The center of mass can be calculated by finding the weighted average of the positions of all the individual masses that make up an object. This can be done using the equation:

xcm = (m1x1 + m2x2 + ... + mnxn) / (m1 + m2 + ... + mn)

where xcm is the center of mass position, mi is the mass of each individual component, and xi is the position of each individual component along a chosen axis.

What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or point. Unlike linear motion, which involves movement in a straight line, rotational motion involves movement in a circular path. It is also known as circular motion.

How is rotational motion related to the center of mass?

The center of mass is important in rotational motion because it is the point where an object can be considered to have all its mass concentrated. This means that when an object rotates, the motion can be simplified to a single point rotating around an axis passing through the center of mass. This simplifies calculations and allows us to analyze rotational motion using the principles of linear motion.

What factors affect the rotational motion of an object?

The rotational motion of an object is affected by several factors, including the distribution of mass, the size and shape of the object, and the location of the axis of rotation. The further the mass is from the axis of rotation, the greater the rotational inertia of the object, making it more difficult to change its rotational motion. Additionally, the direction and magnitude of the applied force also affect the rotational motion of an object.