Missing EDIT Option in Threads: Common Problem?

• Thread starter Les Sleeth
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the inability to find the EDIT option for some posts in threads, specifically in the Metaphysics section. The person asking the question has noticed that they can only access the edit button in certain threads and in certain time frames. They are wondering if this is happening to others as well. Another person mentions that they are also unable to edit posts that are over a day old.
Les Sleeth
Gold Member
I can't find the EDIT option for some of my posts in threads (I can in this thread however:confused:). Is it just me, or is it missing anywhere for others too?

Physics news on Phys.org
Les Sleeth said:
I can't find the EDIT option for my posts in threads. Is it just me, or is it missing for others too?

Do you see the quote button?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Do you see the quote button?

Yes, and as I added to my previous post, I have an edit button in this thread too. In threads I posted in Metaphysics however, I didn't have the EDIT option.

Les Sleeth said:
Yes, and as I added to my previous post, I have an edit button in this thread too. In threads I posted in Metaphysics however, I didn't have the EDIT option.

In case this is helpful Greg, I just checked out other areas of PF, including an older thread of mine, and so far this is the only thread that is offering the Edit option to me.

I think you can't edit messages that are over a day old.

I've noticed it to be less than 10 hours.

1. Why can't I see the edit option in threads?

The missing edit option in threads is a common problem that can occur for a variety of reasons. It could be due to a technical issue with the platform or an error in the coding. It could also be because the thread has been locked by the administrator, or the edit option has been disabled for that specific thread.

2. How can I edit my post if the edit option is not available?

If the edit option is not available, you can try contacting the administrator of the platform to see if they can unlock the thread or enable the edit option for you. You can also try refreshing the page or clearing your cache and cookies as sometimes this can resolve the issue.

3. Is there a way to edit my post without the edit option?

In some cases, you may be able to edit your post without the edit option by using a workaround. This could include creating a new post and copying and pasting the updated information, or using a different device or browser to access the thread. However, it is always best to try to resolve the issue with the missing edit option first.

4. Can other users edit my post if I cannot?

No, other users cannot edit your post unless they have been given permission by the administrator. Even if the edit option is available for other threads, it may be disabled for the specific thread you are trying to edit. It is always best to check with the administrator or forum rules before attempting to edit someone else's post.

5. How can I avoid encountering this problem in the future?

To avoid encountering this problem in the future, it is important to make sure that you are following the platform's guidelines and rules when posting. It is also a good idea to double-check your post before submitting it to ensure that it is accurate and does not need any immediate edits. If the problem persists, you can also reach out to the platform's support team for further assistance.