Increasing capacity of hard drive partition

In summary: No. You will not gain speed via putting the swap file on another partition on the same HDD. Think about the pickup head must fly between partitions .. back an fourth. Put the swap on another drive is the only way to gain speed ... the...In summary, you need to format, repartition, and reinstall windows in order to redistribute the size of your hard drive.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I partitioned my hard drive into two sectors (I installed windows on one).. it turns out to be too small (sp2 makes a backup of the whole system :rolleyes:).. I'm at a loss how to redistribute the size though :uhh:

Anyone a clue? I'm running Windows XP (I guess I need to go into BIOS at reboot? *edit* just tried bios, didn't find anything).

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
you made a partition too small, you need to format, repartition, and reinstall windows..

:cry: really?

I looked in XP disk management tools and only found a delete partition button and no make or alter disk partion buttons, so I guess you're right :P

So how big a partition would be the bottom size for XP home edition do you think?

*edit* windows is silly, why can't I just move things around a little.. everything is still empty but the one system partition :yuck:

Greg Bernhardt said:
Windows unfortunately doesn't let you manage your partitions. You'll have to look for 3rd party products. I would recommend: http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/
Greg: control panel->administrative tools->computer management->storage->disk manager

You can create, delete, format, etc., you just can't resize or work on the active partition (which Partition Magic can do).

Monique said:
:cry: really?

I looked in XP disk management tools and only found a delete partition button and no make or alter disk partion buttons, so I guess you're right :P

So how big a partition would be the bottom size for XP home edition do you think?

*edit* windows is silly, why can't I just move things around a little.. everything is still empty but the one system partition :yuck:

I recommend 10GB for winXP minimum, becuase of swap and everything.

You might want to look around. There are (non-MS) tools for resizing partitions. http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/mlf/ezaz/ntfsresize.html might not be what you want, but it's a start.

Last edited by a moderator:
NateTG said:
You might want to look around. There are (non-MS) tools for resizing partitions. http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/mlf/ezaz/ntfsresize.html might not be what you want, but it's a start.
hehe, I might use that myself, thanks. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Windows unfortunately doesn't let you manage your partitions. You'll have to look for 3rd party products. I would recommend: http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/

I second this. I've used Partition Magic several times, and it has always worked beautifully for me. Also, it isn't extremely complicated. One caution though; it's been over a year since I last had a need for it.

KM

alexkerhead said:
I recommend 10GB for winXP minimum, becuase of swap and everything.

Do you not put your VM on another partition? Makes the system run faster by allowing contiginous writing of data in swap area, also it allows for less fragmentation of VM (Swap)...

Last edited:
Anttech said:
Do you not put your VM on another partition? Makes the system run faster by allowing contiginous writing of data in swap area, also it allows for less fragmentation of VM (Swap)...
I recommended a 10GB partition for XP minimum, for large swap and room for OS, becuase she asked what is the bottom size a XP partition should be..

Actually I've put swap on a separate partition and inactivated the system restore function of XP. I now am using 2.35 Gb, so could have done with the original partition of 3 Gb that I had for the OS.. oh well :)

Monique said:
Actually I've put swap on a separate partition and inactivated the system restore function of XP. I now am using 2.35 Gb, so could have done with the original partition of 3 Gb that I had for the OS.. oh well :)
3GB!
A regular XP install uses 2.6GB...wohaaa!

That's what my friend in ICT recommended :tongue: don't give windows any room, it will perform better.

Monique said:
That's what my friend in ICT recommended :tongue: don't give windows any room, it will perform better.
I can garentee that a 10GB partition will run better, becuase in time, "extra file" will build up and fill the HDD, and 3GB will not be enough, even if you clear stuff out.

It has been some time since last I used it, but the program is called bootitng.

Homepage;
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html

Unlike other bloated software, this one fits onto a single floppy disk and never failed me or caused loss of data. As I recall, when not wanting to actually install the program so as to have a boot loader, simply boot from the floppy and resize your partitions.

Good luck

Anttech said:

No. You will not gain speed via putting the swap file on another partition on the same HDD. Think about the pickup head must fly between partitions .. back an fourth. Put the swap on another drive is the only way to gain speed ... the head remains over the needed area to read/write. Better to leave the swap on the same partition on a single drive (less motion).

Best

Your system will be faster regardless, due to the swap area (and system area) being less fragmented thus as I said before you get contiginous writing to the swap area!

If you leave it on same partition you will get more fragementation and the disk head will move further!

What you say is correct however, if you place the swap on a totally idenpendent drive you will gain even more performance!

1. How do I increase the capacity of a hard drive partition?

To increase the capacity of a hard drive partition, you can either resize an existing partition or create a new partition by using disk management tools such as Disk Management in Windows or Disk Utility in MacOS. These tools allow you to allocate more space to a specific partition or create a new partition from unused space on your hard drive.

2. What is the maximum capacity I can increase a hard drive partition to?

The maximum capacity you can increase a hard drive partition to depends on several factors, such as the size of your hard drive, the type of file system used, and the disk management tools available. Generally, the maximum capacity is limited to the size of your hard drive, but some file systems may have smaller limitations.

3. Will increasing the capacity of a hard drive partition affect my data?

When increasing the capacity of a hard drive partition, there is a risk of data loss. It is important to back up your data before making any changes to the partition. However, if done correctly, increasing the capacity of a hard drive partition should not affect your data.

4. Can I increase the capacity of a hard drive partition without losing any data?

Yes, it is possible to increase the capacity of a hard drive partition without losing any data. However, it is always recommended to back up your data before making any changes to the partition, as there is always a risk of data loss during these processes.

5. Are there any alternative methods to increasing the capacity of a hard drive partition?

Yes, there are alternative methods to increasing the capacity of a hard drive partition, such as using third-party partitioning software. These tools offer more advanced features and may be necessary if disk management tools are not available or do not meet your needs.