Chemistry: Elements, Molecules and Bonds

In summary, for a biology lab involving chemistry, students are required to create models of molecules using ball and stick representations and write their structural and molecular formulas. This includes representing single or double bonds based on the molecular composition. The task at hand was to write the structural formula for a molecule with one carbon atom and one chlorine atom. After researching the valence of both atoms, it seemed impossible to make such a model. However, upon further investigation, it was discovered that this molecule does exist and is known as carbon tetrachloride. The lab report was submitted, including a model of carbon tetrachloride and an explanation.
HeLiXe

Homework Statement

For a biology lab dealing with chemistry, we are supposed to make models (ball and stick) of molecules, and then we need to write the structural and molecular formulas. The models should represent single or double bonds based on the molecular composition. The problem is to write the structural formula for a molecule consisting of one atom of carbon and one atom of chlorine.

Homework Equations

Does not apply to this problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

My understanding is that carbon has a valence of 4 and can accommodate four single bonds or two double bonds. Chlorine has a valence of 7 and can accommodate one single bond. Based on this...I think this model would be impossible to make. I can imagine one carbon atom and 4 chlorine atoms. I looked up CCl4 and found that it does exist and is called carbon tetrachloride.
Mol_geom_CCl4.PNG

[PLAIN]https://people.chem.umass.edu/chandler/molecules/CCL4.GIF

Thus far we have only covered single and double bonds and a very limited range of molecules. What am I missing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, I submitted the lab report. I made a model of carbon tetrachloride and explained why. I'll see what the professor says. Thanks!

Related to Chemistry: Elements, Molecules and Bonds

1. What are the three main types of chemical bonds?

The three main types of chemical bonds are ionic bonds, covalent bonds, and metallic bonds. Ionic bonds involve the transfer of electrons between atoms, while covalent bonds involve the sharing of electrons between atoms. Metallic bonds occur between metal atoms and involve a delocalization of electrons.

2. What is an element?

An element is a substance that cannot be broken down into simpler substances by chemical means. Each element is made up of atoms with a unique number of protons in their nucleus, which is known as the atomic number.

3. What is a molecule?

A molecule is a group of atoms that are bonded together by chemical bonds. These bonds can be either covalent or ionic. Molecules can be made up of atoms of the same element (such as oxygen gas, O2) or different elements (such as water, H2O).

4. What is the periodic table of elements?

The periodic table of elements is a tabular arrangement of all known chemical elements, organized by their atomic number, electron configuration, and chemical properties. It is a useful tool for understanding the relationships between different elements and predicting their properties and behavior.

5. How are elements and compounds different?

Elements are pure substances made up of only one type of atom, while compounds are substances made up of two or more different types of atoms that are chemically bonded together. Compounds have unique physical and chemical properties that are different from the elements they are composed of.