H3CHCHC=NH Resonance in Sappling

• Thread starter rmiller70015
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resonance
In summary, the student attempted to fix the Lewis structure and drew a resonance that was not correct according to the software.
rmiller70015

Homework Statement

This is a problem with Sappling involved. I was given a Lewis Structure, told it was an anion (no charges were given just that it was one) and told to fix the structure and draw a resonance.

Homework Equations

No Equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem starts out with the basic structure, there is a double bond between the carbon and the nitrogen, no charges and no lone pairs on the structure.

I counted up the number of valance electrons for this structure and got 23e-, since it's an anion, I added 1 extra electron (note they did not say the charge on the anion just that it was one). Now I have a total of 24 valence electrons in the molecule. The bonds take up 20 e- and that leaves 4 e- left over. I distributed a pair to the Carbon with 3 bonds (the first CH, or Carbon-2) and to the Nitrogen. This makes the Nitrogen neutral and gives the 2 carbon a -1 charge and the entire molecule has a -1 charge, an anion. But this is incorrect according to Sappling and I can't figure out another way to arrange the electrons so that the molecule makes sense.

As for the Resonance I pushed the electrons I had placed on the first model into different positions, putting a double bond between carbons 2 and 3 and a single bond between carbon 3 and the nitrogen. Also I gave the nitrogen 2 sets of lone pairs and a -1 charge. This resonance is correct according to sappling, but the initial model I amended is not.

I know it's not recommended to post a picture on here, but I'm drawing models and I don't see any other way to accurately describe what I have done, than to post a picture of my drawing so here it is:
http://imgur.com/6U0x4CI

Physics news on Phys.org
The 'original' drawing is missing a hydrogen atom, of course, which you added later.
"Resonance" is the character of having TWO significant resonance forms - forms in which the atoms are in the same place, but the charges are not. The actual structure has the charge distribution as a mixture of the two forms with their localized charges.
The major (most stable) resonance form is the one you show as "resonance" in your drawing; a less stable resonance form is the one labeled "my changes".
The proper way to show this (my opinion as practicing chemist) is to write the two forms with a double-headed arrow between them, showing that both contribute. In this case, most of the charge will be on the Nitrogen atom, much less on the Carbon atom

Likes rmiller70015

What is "H3CHCHC=NH Resonance in Sappling"?

"H3CHCHC=NH Resonance in Sappling" is a term used in organic chemistry to describe the phenomenon of resonance in a molecule with a triple bond between a carbon and nitrogen atom.

How does resonance affect the stability of "H3CHCHC=NH"?

Resonance in "H3CHCHC=NH" results in the delocalization of electrons, making the molecule more stable than if it only had a single bond between the carbon and nitrogen atoms.

What is the significance of "H3CHCHC=NH Resonance in Sappling" in chemical reactions?

The presence of resonance in "H3CHCHC=NH" can greatly influence the reactivity of the molecule, as the delocalization of electrons can impact the distribution of charges and affect the strength of bonds.

How is "H3CHCHC=NH Resonance in Sappling" represented in structural formulas?

In structural formulas, "H3CHCHC=NH Resonance in Sappling" is typically depicted with a double-headed arrow between the carbon and nitrogen atoms, indicating the delocalization of electrons.

Can "H3CHCHC=NH Resonance in Sappling" be observed experimentally?

No, resonance is a theoretical concept used to explain the behavior of molecules. While we can predict the presence of resonance in "H3CHCHC=NH", it cannot be observed directly through experiments.