What is Electromagnetic Induction and How Does it Work?

In summary, The person posting the question is unsure about a physics problem and states that it may be poorly worded. They mention that the problem involves theory and not equations. Another person responds with an explanation and mentions Lenz's Law.
gabby_w
Hi everyone,
So I feel sort of stupid posting what you'll probably find is a very elementary question but physics really isn't my best subject and I'm completely stumped. Thanks so much!
Oh, and there's also the possibility that this question is just really badly worded.

Homework Statement

16apueh.jpg

Homework Equations

It's a question based simply on theory, not really any equations involved that could help with the answer I don't think..

The Attempt at a Solution

I was unaware that you could induce a current in a coil without a magnet... So I have no solutions?

Physics news on Phys.org
The coil on the left produces a magnetic field, when current flows through it.

Yeah I felt sort of stupid after I posted this question and figured that out... But with part (a) of the question, closing the switch wouldn't cause a current to flow through it, right? And therefore no magnetic field? Because it doesn't say that the power source is on until part (b)...

gabby_w said:
Yeah I felt sort of stupid after I posted this question and figured that out... But with part (a) of the question, closing the switch wouldn't cause a current to flow through it, right? And therefore no magnetic field? Because it doesn't say that the power source is on until part (b)...
That's precisely when the circuit on the left has most influence on the circuit on the right.

Closing the switch means that the circuit on the left suddenly produces a magnetic field through the coil in the circuit on the right. However, according to Lenz's Law, a current is induced in the circuit on the right in a direction which produces a magnetic in a direction which tends to oppose any change in magnetic field through the coil.

Hello there! First of all, don't feel stupid for asking a question about a subject that may not be your strongest. Asking questions is a crucial part of learning and we all have to start somewhere. Now, to address your question about electromagnetic induction.
Electromagnetic induction is the process of generating an electromotive force (emf) in a conductor by changing the magnetic field through the conductor. This can be achieved by moving a magnet near a conductor or by changing the current in a nearby conductor. This process is important in many technologies, such as generators and transformers.
It is possible to induce a current in a coil without a magnet by using a changing current in a nearby conductor. This is known as mutual induction. The changing current in the first conductor creates a changing magnetic field, which then induces a current in the second conductor. This effect can be enhanced by using a coil instead of a straight conductor.
I hope this helps to clarify the concept of electromagnetic induction. Don't hesitate to ask more questions if you need further clarification. Keep learning and keep asking questions!

1. What is electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction is the process of generating an electric current in a conductor by varying the magnetic field around it. This phenomenon was discovered by Michael Faraday in the early 1800s and is the basis for many modern technologies, such as generators and transformers.

2. How does electromagnetic induction work?

Electromagnetic induction works by using a changing magnetic field to induce an electric current in a conductor. When a conductor, such as a wire, is placed in a varying magnetic field, the magnetic field lines will cut across the conductor and create a flow of electrons. This flow of electrons is what we know as an electric current.

3. What are some applications of electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction has many practical applications in our daily lives. It is used in generators to produce electricity, in transformers to change the voltage of an electric current, and in induction cooktops to heat up pots and pans. It is also used in various electronic devices, such as motors and speakers.

4. What is the difference between electromagnetic induction and static electricity?

Electromagnetic induction involves the movement of electrons in a conductor, whereas static electricity is the buildup of electric charge on the surface of an object. Electromagnetic induction requires a changing magnetic field, while static electricity can occur without any moving parts.

5. How is electromagnetic induction related to Faraday's law?

Faraday's law states that the induced voltage in a circuit is directly proportional to the rate of change of the magnetic field through the circuit. This means that the stronger the magnetic field and the faster it changes, the greater the induced voltage will be. This law is the basis for understanding and predicting the effects of electromagnetic induction.