Why Does a Voltmeter Show a Reading When an Iron Rod is Moved in Coil P?

In summary: It looks kinda like a square wave but with an extra spike in the middle.The "correct" answer is that ##I/t# is not constant, but instead has a slope of -ve.
Taniaz

Homework Statement

Two coils P and Q are placed close to one another. P is connected to a power supply whereas Q is only connected to a voltmeter and no supply (see attached diagram). The current in coil P is constant. An iron rod is inserted into coil P.

a) Explain why during the time that the tod is moving, there is a reading on the voltmeter connected to coil Q.

b) The current in coil P is now varied as shown in the figure ( see attached). Show the variation with time of the reading of the voltmeter connected to coil Q from time t=0 to time t=t2.

Homework Equations

Faraday’s law
Lenz’s law

The Attempt at a Solution

I don’t have any issues with part a- the iron rod changes the flux in Q which creates an induced E and an induced I.

In part b, when the current in P in constant, I know the emf induced in Q will be 0. But when the current is intially increasing why is the induced emf constant? And I don’t know what happens when there is a sudden change in the current near t1.

Thank you.

Attachments

• 6753F23C-3199-4286-B0A2-A60AEA62A20A.jpeg
    6753F23C-3199-4286-B0A2-A60AEA62A20A.jpeg
    26.5 KB · Views: 295
  • D76A9E90-FA68-4FED-BE2B-46C976031380.jpeg
    D76A9E90-FA68-4FED-BE2B-46C976031380.jpeg
    22 KB · Views: 317
Physics news on Phys.org
Taniaz said:
In part b, when the current in P in constant, I know the emf induced in Q will be 0. But when the current is intially increasing why is the induced emf constant?
Initially, the current is increasing linearly with time. So the time derivative of the magnetic flux though the solenoid (that's the induced EMF, right?) should be constant.

PKM said:
Initially, the current is increasing linearly with time. So the time derivative of the magnetic flux though the solenoid (that's the induced EMF, right?) should be constant.
Thank you. What about when it spikes downwards?

Isn’t I/t still a constant so should the graph be something like a top hat function?

Taniaz said:
Isn’t I/t still a constant so should the graph be something like a top hat function?
No, you're missing one point. ##I/t## is still constant, but the slope is -ve. So the induced EMF drops to a negative value as soon as ##I## starts decreasing.

PKM said:
No, you're missing one point. ##I/t## is still constant, but the slope is -ve. So the induced EMF drops to a negative value as soon as ##I## starts decreasing.

Yes but when the emf drops to the negative value, after that wouldn’t it just stay at that value till the current in coil p becomes constant?

Taniaz said:
Yes but when the emf drops to the negative value, after that wouldn’t it just stay at that value till the current in coil p becomes constant?
Yes, it seems so.
What if we consider the coil P moving toward Q at a steady rate and analyze the case?

PKM said:
Yes, it seems so.
What if we consider the coil P moving toward Q at a steady rate and analyze the case?
Then I think I/t won’t be constant.
But as for this question it should look like a square wave right? Constant in one direction first, then spikes vertically upwards in the opposite direction and then constant till the current becomes constant?

Taniaz said:

Homework Statement

Two coils P and Q are placed close to one another. P is connected to a power supply whereas Q is only connected to a voltmeter and no supply (see attached diagram). The current in coil P is constant. An iron rod is inserted into coil P.

a) Explain why during the time that the tod is moving, there is a reading on the voltmeter connected to coil Q.

b) The current in coil P is now varied as shown in the figure ( see attached). Show the variation with time of the reading of the voltmeter connected to coil Q from time t=0 to time t=t2.

Homework Equations

Faraday’s law
Lenz’s law

The Attempt at a Solution

I don’t have any issues with part a- the iron rod changes the flux in Q which creates an induced E and an induced I.

In part b, when the current in P in constant, I know the emf induced in Q will be 0. But when the current is intially increasing why is the induced emf constant? And I don’t know what happens when there is a sudden change in the current near t1.

Thank you.
Please state Faraday's Law.

Is the second graph (Fig. 10.3) your attempt or is it the "correct" answer?

d76a9e90-fa68-4fed-be2b-46c976031380-jpeg.jpg

Attachments

• d76a9e90-fa68-4fed-be2b-46c976031380-jpeg.jpg
    d76a9e90-fa68-4fed-be2b-46c976031380-jpeg.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 635
SammyS said:
Please state Faraday's Law.

Is the second graph (Fig. 10.3) your attempt or is it the "correct" answer?

View attachment 237135
I found this graph online somewhere but I don’t think it’s right.

1. What is electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction is the process by which a changing magnetic field induces an electric current in a conductor.

2. How does electromagnetic induction work?

When a conductor, such as a wire, is placed in a changing magnetic field, the magnetic field lines passing through the conductor will also change. This change in the magnetic field will induce an electric current in the conductor.

3. What is the principle behind electromagnetic induction?

The principle behind electromagnetic induction is Faraday's law, which states that the induced electromotive force (EMF) in a circuit is directly proportional to the rate of change of the magnetic flux through the circuit.

4. What are some applications of electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction has various applications, including generators, transformers, induction cooktops, and wireless charging. It is also used in devices such as electric motors, speakers, and microphones.

5. How does electromagnetic induction relate to electricity?

Electromagnetic induction is closely related to electricity as it is the process by which electric currents are induced in conductors by changing magnetic fields. It is also the basis for the production of electricity in generators and the operation of electric motors.