Have you ever seen a person go from drinking alcoholically to

• Thread starter Jamin2112
  • Start date
In summary: And another. If they are an alcoholic, they cannot drink normally for an extended period---the alcoholism will take over again.
Jamin2112
.. drinking like a normal person?

Physics news on Phys.org
Only if they were very young when they drank alcoholically and then returned to normal in their early to mid-20s.

For the moment every alcoholics I know are 25+ years old and I don't think I ever saw one turning into a normal drinker.Some of them have completely stopped though.

By alcoholically do you mean a genuine alcoholic or a binge drinker? If so yes and yes.

Jamin2112 said:
.. drinking like a normal person?

If you are an alcoholic, you cannot drink normally for an extended period --- the alcoholism will take over again.

"Drinking alcoholically" is not, to my mind, a helpful or useful term. "Alcoholic" is. If someone is NOT an alcoholic, it doesn't matter how they drink, they can "drink normally" again at any time and if they are an alcoholic, then they cannot (for any extended period).

Why do you ask? When I was younger I was a "heavy binge drinker" which gradually got worse. In retrospect It seems like I was going down the path to being an alcoholic, but never got there. I realized it was getting in the way of my life and I stopped. I only very occasionally drink now. It tastes so much nicer as a reward for a hard days work.

My father is a huge alcoholic since his 30's. Now he cannot stand 1 day without alcohol. However when I was younger and I would visit him, I think he would not drink any alcoholic beverage for 2 months; this happened for several years in a row. After those 2 months periods I doubt he remained sober though.
But with some will, I think it would have been possible for him to stop entirely alcohol since he could make it for 2 months. So I'm sure there are people who stopped alcohol for X reason.
By the way my father is also a very heavy smoker since he's like 14 years old. On the top of that he developped Barrett's esophagus like in 2004 and won't stop either alcohol or cigarrettes. I don't think there's anything that would stop him.

fluidistic said:
My father is a huge alcoholic since his 30's. Now he cannot stand 1 day without alcohol. However when I was younger and I would visit him, I think he would not drink any alcoholic beverage for 2 months; this happened for several years in a row. After those 2 months periods I doubt he remained sober though.
But with some will, I think it would have been possible for him to stop entirely alcohol since he could make it for 2 monthsSo I'm sure there are people who stopped alcohol for X reason..
By the way my father is also a very heavy smoker since he's like 14 years old. On the top of that he developped Barrett's esophagus like in 2004 and won't stop either alcohol or cigarrettes. I don't think there's anything that would stop him.

Yes, alcoholics can stop drinking any time they decide to. A great many do and many of them stop forever. What they CANNOT do is ever take another drink "socially" and leave it at that. After one they will take another. And another.

Related to Have you ever seen a person go from drinking alcoholically to

1. Have you ever seen a person go from drinking alcoholically to being completely sober?

Yes, it is possible for individuals to overcome alcoholism and achieve long-term sobriety with the right treatment and support.

2. What is the process for someone to go from drinking alcoholically to being sober?

The process typically involves seeking professional help, undergoing detoxification, attending therapy and support groups, and making lifestyle changes to maintain sobriety.

3. Is it common for someone to relapse after going from drinking alcoholically to being sober?

Unfortunately, relapse is a common occurrence in the recovery process. It is important for individuals to continue to receive support and maintain healthy habits to decrease the risk of relapse.

4. Can someone who has been drinking alcoholically for a long time still achieve sobriety?

Yes, it is possible for individuals who have been struggling with alcoholism for a long time to achieve sobriety. However, it may require a longer and more intensive treatment approach.

5. Are there any medications or treatments that can help someone go from drinking alcoholically to being sober?

Yes, there are medications and therapies that can help individuals overcome alcoholism and maintain sobriety. However, it is important to seek professional advice and treatment to determine the best approach for each individual's unique situation.