Let's face it - phi is the best

• Thread starter jim mcnamara
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phi
In summary, The conversation discusses the application of the Golden ratio, also known as phi, to human faces and the perception of beauty. It delves into the concept of pattern recognition and risk assessment, and how these abilities have evolved in humans as a survival mechanism. The potential for Type I and Type II errors in decision making is also mentioned, with examples of how each can impact survival. Overall, the conversation presents an interesting perspective on the relationship between phi and human aesthetics, while also highlighting the importance of decision making in survival.
jim mcnamara
Mentor
This whole post is just for fun -- here is an article about applying phi (Golden ratio) to human faces and esthetics of human beauty.

http://www.goldennumber.net/face/

If you don't know much about Phi try::
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio

The authors constructed 1.6... x 1 rectangles superimposed on faces and then try to establish the relationship of perception of beauty to phi. Teeth and ears (Fibonacci spiral) are subjects as well.

Is this far-fetched? Somewhat. Is it fun to think about? Yup.

But remember - humans have a lot of hardwired templates in our brains, faces being one of them. ...Ever see a face or an animal in a cloud? There are no cloud-sized people up in the sky. So we are prone to make connections and "see" things that may not really be there.

There is also an evolutionary reason for this "ability" to see things that are not there. It is all about our ancestors, some of whom became tiger chow.

Type I error is a false positive error, Type II is a false negative. The ancestors who made lots of Type I errors in identifying predators passed on their genes. The ones who made Type II errors were more likely to end up as a meal.

Why: It's 200000 years ago. You are out looking for food. You think you see a tiger face in the bush up ahead. If you walk a different route(Type I risk), you may have spent a small amount of extra time, if you continue toward the bush(Type II risk) you may get where you are going more quickly. Sooner or later the tiger will be behind the bush. So sooner or later the Type II choice has survival problems. Because the tiger really is there. Being eaten is detrimental to passing on your genes and keeping your family alive. Being five minutes late is orders of magnitude less detrimental.

Physics news on Phys.org
Pattern recognition and risk assessment, always two good interesting topics.

Type I error is a false positive error, Type II is a false negative. The ancestors who made lots of Type I errors in identifying predators passed on their genes. The ones who made Type II errors were more likely to end up as a meal.

A Type I decision for the immediate short term could increase chance of survival, but the alternative path taken does not guarantee no risk - there could be a pack of hyenas around the corner of the second path. In addition, too much reliance on Type I decision making would lead to an indecisiveness, which also can seriously effect survival.

Type II decisions can also lead to prosperity. If you overcome the obstacle, the reward can be great, and the benefits may supercede that of Type I decision makers..

What is "phi" and why is it considered the best?

"Phi" is the Greek letter used to represent the golden ratio, which is a mathematical term that describes a special proportion found in nature and art. It is considered the best because it has been found to be aesthetically pleasing and harmonious to the human eye.

How is the golden ratio calculated?

The golden ratio is approximately equal to 1.618, and it can be calculated by dividing a line into two parts so that the longer part divided by the smaller part is equal to the whole length divided by the longer part.

In what ways is the golden ratio used in art and design?

The golden ratio has been used in many famous works of art and design, including the Parthenon in Greece, the Mona Lisa by Leonardo da Vinci, and even in modern designs such as the Apple logo. It is used to create balance, symmetry, and visual appeal in these works.

Is the golden ratio present in nature?

Yes, the golden ratio can be found in many natural phenomena, such as the branching of trees, the spiral formation of seashells, and the proportions of the human body. It is believed that its presence in nature is one of the reasons why it is considered aesthetically pleasing to humans.

Are there any practical applications of the golden ratio?

Yes, the golden ratio has been used in various practical applications, such as in architecture, design, and even in financial markets. It can also be found in music, as many composers have used the golden ratio to create harmonious compositions.