Mystery of the Penguin Blowhole: What I Saw at the Aquarium

In summary, when penguins dive, they release air bubbles that look silver due to the trapped air. The bubbles may come out in spurts due to movement or fluctuations.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I saw penguins swimming at an aquarium yesterday. They swam deep underwater and they had streams of bubbles escaping from a spot on their backs. My mom thinks that penguins have some sort of a blowhole, but I've never heard of this. What was that?:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe they were leaking :frown:

oh dear! - I guess you can't use duck tape on penguins!

When they first dive in they have a lot of air trapped in their feathers. This makes them look kind of silver until it floats away. I've seen them at the San Diego Zoo (or maybe the Wild Animal Park).

Are they superpenguins? If they're swimming at supersonic speeds their shock waves might be causing the water to boil, if the pressure momentarily gets low enough. Just a guess.

zoob, do you suppose they swim in such a way that all the trapped air gets channelled to one spot and then released? It was very odd.
oh, and they weren't swimming quite that fast, rach!:biggrin:

Math Is Hard said:
zoob, do you suppose they swim in such a way that all the trapped air gets channelled to one spot and then released? It was very odd.
I would assume so. Everything works out such that it all comes off on that one spot.

If I recall there were plaques around with penguin info, and one of them explained about the trapped air making them look silver. I don't think they explained why it all seemed to escape from the same spot. I'm sure they don't have a blowhole on their backs, though. That's exclusively a cetacean thing. Except maybe some dinosaurs had them.

1/ Overlapping densely packed feathers make a surface almost impenetrable to wind or water. Feathers provide waterproofing in water that is critical to penguins survival in water, Antarctic seas may be as cold as -2.2°C (28°F) and rarely get above +2°C (35.6°F). Tufts of down on shafts below the feathers trap air. This trapped layer of air in the feathers provides 80% to 84% of the thermal insulation for penguins. The layer of trapped air is compressed during dives and can dissipate after prolonged diving, so leaving the insulation to the blubber layer. Penguins rearrange their feathers by preening.

http://www.coolantarctica.com/Antarctica%20fact%20file/science/cold_penguins.htm

So the air is compressed which somehow must figure into why it leaves their backs at that spot. Not that it's obvious to me why that should be.

Here's something else:

When a penguin dives, the feathers are pressed against the body by the water pressure, and a stream of bubbles flows from the feathers. Penguins must therefore come to the surface not only to breathe air but also to renew their insulation. They race out of the sea in high arcs, shaking off the water and at the same time replacing the air which was lost from the feathers.

http://www.awi-bremerhaven.de/ClickLearn/newFAQ/FAQ_Pinguine/Fauna1-e.html

Last edited by a moderator:
It only appeared to escape after they had reached a certain depth. I was probably 10-12 feet below their surface water when I saw them swim by and the air begin to bubble out in a stream off the back. when they were swimming a little higher than this it didn't happen. But it seemed to happen in spurts, as if they had some control over releasing it.

Math Is Hard said:
It only appeared to escape after they had reached a certain depth. I was probably 10-12 feet below their surface water when I saw them swim by and the air begin to bubble out in a stream off the back. when they were swimming a little higher than this it didn't happen. But it seemed to happen in spurts, as if they had some control over releasing it.
It would make sense if they did. I know birds can control how flat their feathers lie. They may squeeze some of the air out to make it easier to stay down. They may delay this as long as possible since it is their insulation against the cold of the water.

I would think there is an easier explanation for all this. I'd guess that small bubbles migrate towards the surface sticking to the body as long as possible due to surface tension. When the bubbles get to the back they leave the body in a stream because they can't continue going up and stay in contact with the body. The spurts were probably caused by either movement or were simply random fluctuations.
I'm basing all this on the fact that penguino has no control whatsoever.

edit: if the bubbles were leaving the penguin's anus and smelled like fish they may have some control over that.

tribdog said:
edit: if the bubbles were leaving the penguin's anus and smelled like fish they may have some control over that.
I can't control my anal fish bubbles. Oh there goes one.

1. What is the purpose of a penguin blowhole?

The penguin blowhole serves as a respiratory organ, allowing penguins to breathe while swimming in the water. It also helps regulate their body temperature by expelling excess heat and water vapor.

2. How does the penguin blowhole differ from other animals' blowholes?

The penguin blowhole is unique in that it is located on the top of their head, rather than on the back like other marine mammals. It is also smaller and has a muscular flap that can close to prevent water from entering.

3. Can penguins make sounds through their blowhole?

Yes, penguins can make a variety of vocalizations through their blowhole, such as honks, brays, and trumpets. These sounds are used for communication and can vary depending on the species and context.

4. How do penguins use their blowhole to hunt for food?

Penguins use their blowhole to help them dive and swim underwater while hunting for food. They can hold their breath for several minutes and use their blowhole to expel excess carbon dioxide and take in fresh oxygen.

5. Are there any threats to the penguin blowhole?

The penguin blowhole can be affected by pollution and climate change, which can lead to respiratory problems and difficulty regulating body temperature. Human disturbance, such as noise pollution, can also disrupt penguin communication through their blowhole.